Sign in to follow this  
ragtoppers

1998 518xi refresh project

ragtoppers

I know this site is primarily older tractors, but I finished a refresh project on a 1998 518xi that I bought this summer to cut grass with and blow snow. This is what I'm tinkering around with until the right old one comes along.

I have a 52" deck and a 2 stage snow thrower so it will be used year around.

I had a friend paint the tractor to fix some dents and get rid of the old faded finish. Some other mechanical updates were also done and now it runs and looks great.

Here is the before pic

2380555210014163422S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is the after...

2265040460014163422S500x500Q85.jpg

2976123390014163422S500x500Q85.jpg

mavfreak

looks great. can you show some pictures without body work I would really like to see whats under that skirt. If you have any

Reason I ask is I have been thinking getting one of these models

Duff

Nice job, ragtoppers! Look really good!

And although the site tends to focus more on the older models, anything/anybody related to a Wheel Horse is more than welcome here! Our favorite saying is, :) !

~Duff

ragtoppers

looks great. can you show some pictures without body work I would really like to see whats under that skirt. If you have any

Reason I ask is I have been thinking getting one of these models

Mavfreak, here you go. I took a couple pictures while it was tore apart.

This is a solid machine.

2116018720014163422S500x500Q85.jpg

2251295930014163422S500x500Q85.jpg

2917731880014163422S500x500Q85.jpg

wh500special

...I have been thinking getting one of these models

DO IT.

I added a 520Lxi to my fleet a while back mostly as a means of completing a "run" of WH tractors from 1946 until the end. It has quickly become my "go-to" machine for just about everything.

Granted, the xi's are way more complex than any of the prior models, but they are incredibly stout, very comfy, and seem to be tough as nails. Mine has a boatload of hours on it and everything still seems to work as it should except the cruise control. I really like the two speed rear end with the foot pedal hydro and the way they turn on a dime. I've even gotten used to the Smart turn steering system.

Nice transformation Ragtopper! :) Mine is in similar shape to your "before" pictures and I think I need to get motivated to shine it up again.

The xi's are great tractors. Definately deserve to be included with the classics.

Steve

Ole MN

Looks Great :) nothing wrong with a toro WHEEL HORSE

Gene_S

Ragtoppers that looks really good... Great job... :)

Right down the road from me, there's one of them sitting out side, but it moves around, so somebody must be using it...

boovuc

My next door neighbor has an Xi and when he went away on vacation this summer, I got his tractor out to mow his grass. (Hey! Gas is expensive)! :)

I loved that machine. It is meant to cut grass and at high speeds in high grass, that machine did an excellent job. I could never cut grass with any of my "classic" garden tractors at that speed and get the cut his Xi did. As was stated earlier, I would have wrapped my C-175 around a tree trying to corner like his Toro did.

I have nothing against Toro's top-line modern tractors! Not after what I experienced on top of one!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

mavfreak

Ok I'm impressed. I didn't relize they were that much of a tractor I thought they was just a stamped out lawn mower like the newer cubs and johdeere. I will deffently take a closer look at one when I am ready to buy.

Thanks for the pictures It looks realy good nice job

tgranthamfd

Nice job, I didn't know they were that solid, either. :)