Sign in to follow this  
bonedaddy

This horse can now see in the dark

bonedaddy

Finally got around to getting the lights wired up on my 1076. The original owners grandson told me his grandfather put them for snow plow use but never got around to wiring them. He said they had been on there since 1976 and never hooked up. I don't know what they are off of (im thinkin an old farmall) but they are bright as heck.

Photo149.jpg

Here is a cell phone video

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/A_...nt=Video074.mp4

flex

thats cool :)

stoneman

no longer limited to daylight hour :) work. available 24/7 :USA:

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: That is a nice tractor I see in your vid that the idle is high my 1075 seems want to idle around that high Nothing like an old K Kohler engine Putin. enjoy the ride and she is a keeper. Gary B....

hm12460

is your charging system able to keep the battery charged using them lights? looks good!

Roger from southern Iowa

Good looking tractor, looks good with the tiller

Those lights should "light the night"!!!!

wheel horse 1045

you mention the lights were on since 1976, do you know that the year of your tractor is not 1976 but 1966.

VinsRJ

"Let there be light!" :)

HankB

is your charging system able to keep the battery charged using them lights? looks good!

I wondered too. If they're standard 55W bulbs, that's 110W or 110/12 => 8.3A. That's a big load for most garden tractors.

I think you can get 35W bulbs the same size and that will reduce the load to 70/12 => 5.8A. (Look to Napa or your local farm supply store for bulbs if you decide to go this way.)

Another strategy is to put the battery on a float charger after use to bring the battery back up. Hopefully a full charge will keep the battery up long enough to complete plow duties.

-hank

bonedaddy

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yeah I know its a 66 model. It was used for 10 years to till a garden once a year before the grandfather wanted to change it to plow duty.

As far as the wattage of the lights I have no idea. I know at idle with the lights on the red generator light doesn't illuminate so I guess that its gettin enough juice. Am I right in thinking that?

HankB

As far as the wattage of the lights I have no idea. I know at idle with the lights on the red generator light doesn't illuminate so I guess that its gettin enough juice. Am I right in thinking that?

I don't know. I put a pair of 55W auxiliary lights on my wife's old bike - a Suzuki GZ250. It has a charging system not unlike what the tractors have, a stator with rectifier and regulator. Everything looked good and it seemed like the system voltage was fine. Three days later she called me from work to say that her bike wouldn't crank. I jumped it (letting it charge for about half an hour off the car alternator IIRC) and followed her home. I replaced the 55W bulbs with 35W bulbs and she was fine from then on. But the worst that will happen is it might not start one day. Until you are sure the battery is being kept fully charged up, best not to shut it down far from a convenient charge.

bonedaddy

My tractor does have the belt driven starter/generator that puts out (from what i've read) somewhere between 10-15 amps. EDIT....just looked and they are 35 watt sealed beam GE lights.

145Automatic

Very nice looking :) . I like those mid 60's era horses with the big Kohler. It's like the hood can barily contain the motor. I may have to start looking....Oh no I feel the itch of the bug.