Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

C-175

B-8074

Well, first I have to say that the black hoods are growing on me. Really didn't care for the look at first but they do have a comanding presence.

Now on to the questions. Instead of making two different posts, one in engines and they other in transmissions I thought I would put it here. Hope that is ok.

1. The KT17 starts and runs good for about 15 min. and then I have to start adding choke to keep it running. I rebuilt the carb, made sure all the holes in the main jet were clear and dialed it in. It also seems to be running a bit hot. The oil was just changed and is at the right level. Anything I'm missing?

2. The Eaton Manual says to check the tranny oil when cold. I did and it is reading full. So why is when the tranny gets warm that it reads low? I thought the fluid would expand?

:wh::) :USA:

rmaynard

Can't answer #2, but the engine is acting like it is starved for fuel. The symptom you described indicates that the starvation occurs only after running for a while. My first guess would be that you have a clogged air vent in the gas tank cap.

Try running the engine again, and when it starts to act fuel-starved, open the cap on the tank and see if it doesn't correct itself.

That is the cheapest trick. If that is not the case, look to a bad fuel pump, or a gas line routed too close to the muffler (causing vapor lock), or the float in the carburetor set too low causing the fuel bowl to run empty.

Bob

JimD

You might also try replacing the fuel line and adding a fuel filter, in addition to Bob's suggestions. An old fuel line can collapse internally and cause the symptoms you describe.

Jim_M

Your fuel problem could also be a clogged tank screen or a bad fuel line that's collapsing internally. It's always a good idea to replace all of the fuel lines on an old tractor anyway. While you've got the fuel line unhooked from the pump blow air through it back to the tank to clean the screen.

B-8074

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should've mentioned that I already replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter. That's something I do with every tractor I get. You never know how the P.O. maintained it. I also took the tank off and cleaned it out, put a new rubber seal in the bottom where the shut off valve goes and blue out the valve and screen. I even put a new fuel gage fuel cap on it.

After I posted this topic I went back out and double checked the points and they where at 23 thousanths. So I adjusted them, rechecked the plugs. They looked good. And I started it up and ran it for a good 20 to 30 min. and ran it under load. It ran just fine, but it sounds like I could raise the RPM's some. But that will have to wait till I get a Tach.

Thanks again.

boovuc

Hey B8074,

My KT17 did the same thing. Place your hand on the intake manifold. Is it real cold? (It will be cool to the touch but shouoldn't be out-right cold). You may have infiltration as I had. I took everything off the top of the motor and replaced the gaskets making sure NOT to over-tighten. It fixed it!

I also had the same issue pop up later in my C-175's life and it was a bad carb body. Once again, air infiltration. Replaced it with the help of a great tech at a small engine shop with a green machine KT carb. It didn't fit perfect but he got it to work. The KT carbs off Wheel Horse's are getting scarce.

Just my two-cents and I hope it helps!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

B-8074

Now that you mentioned that, it was really cold. When I rebuilt the carb I did replace all the gaskets. All except the the gasket/seal that the air cleaner cover sits on. It is about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Do you think that one is the problem?

boovuc

It wouldn't hurt to check it out. There also should be a little rubber knob between the air cleaner top and the wingnut to prevent air leakage through that bolt hole. It only takes a little bit to cause the problem.