Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Another Toy for TerryJW

Suburban 550

Well for everyone that don't know the story, about a month or so ago I received a pm from a new guy on this forum who said he was from Shenandoah, Pa. and he told me he just had bought a 551 (his first Wheel Horse) and asked when we could get together because he had a few questions about his new tractor. Low and behold he ended up being only a stone throw away from my house and we finally got together to see each others tractors. Today somewhere around noon, a knock came on the back door and there was Terry who asked if I had time to come out and see what he had bought. In the back of his truck was a 401, that looked like it was sittin' for about ten years or better and my next question to him was what are you doin' for the rest of the day. Well it turned out he had nothin' to do so I said let's unload it in my garage and lets get it runnin'. We ended up with spark and tore the entire carburetor, fuel tank and fuel bowl to clean up all the varnish that formed from all the years sittin' and it turned out to be one of the most sweetest K-91 engines I ever heard runnin' with positively no knocks or smoke. The tractor is missin' the belt guard, exhaust shield, one footrest and needs two front tires but other than that and a little TLC, the motor alone was worth what he paid for the tractor. He ended up leavin' the tractor in my garage with plans of us finishing it up tomorrow mornin'. I think Terry is getting the Wheel Horse addiction. :) Here are a couple of pics of Terry and his torn apart 401.

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Horse'n Around

What a great way to spend an afternoon,good friends are a blessing.

Congratulations on the "new" 401 :)

John

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: WOW Ray that is what is all about friends and tinkering with tractors. great story. nice little tractor also never herd 1 of those engines run I bet it puurrrsssss. Gary B....

Suburban 550

Thanks Gary and John. :USA: That's what friendship and these little red tractors are all about. It sort of made my day with Terry showing up at my door today and it really made me feel good that I could get it up and runnin' for him. Lost my job a couple weeks ago and it was a real morral boost for me to help him out. :)

clintonnut

Terry's collection is growing!

He has a 551, 401 and a plow which was from me!

Now he just needs to find a 701 to have the complete lineup!

Charlie

rmaynard

Great story. Can't wait to see the pictures of you guys driving it tomorrow. :)

Bob

Suburban 550

Terry's collection is growing!

He has a 551, 401 and a plow which was from me!

Now he just needs to find a 701 to have the complete lineup!

Charlie

Charlie, I told him the same exact thing today. :USA: I should have taken the trip down to your place with him the other day to see your collection. Maybe some other time. :)

Roger from southern Iowa

Great story with a great outcome.

Keep us updated!

JimD

Ray, I see Terry has a great big Wheel Horse grin on his face, which I'm sure you helped put there when you helped him get the engine running. Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. Oh, did ya get the three wheeler running yet? :)

stevasaurus

What a nice day and a great way to spend it. :) Always feels good when you get one running. :USA: Thanks for sharing Ray. and Terry.

Suburban 550

Steve, Jim, Roger and Bob, day two of Terry's 401 project started at 7:30 a.m. this mornin' and we got alot accomplished. Opened up the garage this mornin' and the floor was flooded with gas and off came the carburetor for the third time. Evidently when I replaced the seat for the needle valve I used a thicker wall socket that jammed against the side of the carburetor where the float mounts on, giving me the false impression the seat was tight. :USA: From the vibration of the engine running yesterday it started to loosin' up and I was wonderin' why the float level changed after I set it yesterday. :) Well after some welding on the hood stand, reassembling, and lending Terry two front tires til' he gets new ones, it was pretty hard to wipe the smile off his face as he drove it out my driveway and out into the street in front of my house. The next two pictures pretty much shows how proud he is of his second horse. :wh:

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

clintonnut

That tractor is in nice original shape. No you just need the "Charlie's original touch". Pick up some purple power, steel wool and a wire wheel to get all the grease off, go over the hood with a soapy brillow pad to bring back color, repaint letters and clear coat it!

To me tractors that nice should be left original! You would be surprised what a couple hours of elbow grease do!

He should bring it to the steam o rama and I can paint the letters for it!

Nice job guys!

Charlie

dandan111

Nice to see another tractor rise from storage and be put back into service.

Great old Wheel Horse! Looks like you had a fun few days.

bustedglass

Good story. Great find. Sounds like the beginning of a great freindship :) .

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: Now there is a proud owner of Americas 1st 4 wheel tractor. It looks nice and as Charlie says leave it alone. And enjoy it as it is how does the engine sound? is it Quite? is it smooth running? as I said yesterday I have never heard one those run. T/Care and enjoy the project. Gary B.......

TerryJW

Hi all, just wanted to thank everyone that posted. I really want to thank Ray for his tanacity and determination to fix something. He was up for the challenge he never gave up working on the carburetor he would not be defeated and persevered. If anyone is looking for a good out of work Wheel Horse mechanic Ray is your man. I learned quite a bit watching Ray and also made a very good friend. I'am now a very happy :USA: 401 Wheel Horse owner. :) Thanks again Ray for all your help and friendship

wh1257

nice job and work

Suburban 550

Terry, it was a great pleasure workin' with you and glad I could help you out. :USA: That carburetor should have came with a zipper on it. Would have saved us alot of time. :)

TerryJW

Amen to that one but we sure had a great time

dclarke

Great job Ray, that sure is a nice lookin 401. wish you were closer, i'd be knockin on your back door too. Terry, looks like you have a nice herd started. won't be long you'll be lookin for another one. thanks for the pics and the post Ray, what a great way to spend the weekend.

JimD

Terry that's a very nice original 401. You don't find em that nice very often. Ad what can ya say about Ray? Just a great guy with a great sense of what it is to be a friend. Nice job guys. :)

SAM58

Best definition of Red Square forum I have seen...

Good fine and great job!

:)

hcminis

This is an awesome post. Great job guys and what a friendship. Always say it is the relationships that get you further in life.

Thanks for sharing.

Roger from southern Iowa

I have got to chime in here again...

That tractor is too nice to restore.

Like our man Rick has said many times, they are only original once.

Great post, this is history in the making!

whfan74

What a fantastic post you guys. Ray, not much else I can say that hasn't been said already. What a great act of kindness! :)