Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Lookie!!! I made a "haul"

Horse'n Around

Yipeeeeeee !!!!!! Well I finally scored the Raider 10 that has been sitting for 5 yrs at the outdoor power shop.Im really happy with it, its rust free and only a few small dings that I can dolly out.The steering is tight and the shifter works nice and smooth.Also the headlight is in near perfect condition too.Now for the engine... the PO brought it in minus the carb/air cleaner assembly, and they also removed the head for some reason. The piston and valves look good as does the cyl which only has a slight ridge on it. I rotated the crank back and forth to see if I could hear or feel any play in the rod and or main bearings and everything feels good there.Luckily it was stored with the head lightly screwed on so the crud stayed out.Everything else is pretty complete, I dont now if the solid state ignition components are any good but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Im going to install the head and check the compression and go from there.The PO also installed a starter button similar to the one on the 702 on the tower below the inst panel and there is a really small push button switch just to the left of the starter button. I dont know if the small button is supposed to be there, in any case when I get her all fixed up mechanically Im going to restore it and any holes that are not suposed to be there Im just going to weld a plug in the hole/holes and it will be as good as new. Now I gots to find me a carburator and air cleaner assembly for it

I have a question... is the assembly thats bolted to the transaxle and runs under the frame and out the front (which I have rapped my shins on numerous times causing me to do the pain dance over and over :) ) for a blade or snow plow? BTW that hurts soooo much, kind of like when I smack those very same shins on the reciever hitch on my truck :USA:

Heres some pics of it...... Enjoy, I know Im going to :wh:

raider10L.jpg

raider10L-1.jpg

Picture020.jpg

z.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

racinfool40

Great find and yes the part sticking out the front is the dozer/snow blade mount-minus the blade I have a 70 raider 12 that came with the 12 hp tecky but blown and replaced with a kohler. I still have the air cleaner assm if interested plus some other tecky parts I'll look around and see what I have. The old tecky's were pretty reliable but the parts were geeting to hard to find and a little pricey for me.Good luck with your new toy. I'll look in the morning and see what I have left as for tecky parts their yours if interested I have no use for them. :)

pond195520032003

nice score :) tractor looks pretty good and also came with john deere weights, did i just say j.d. :USA:

wh79d160

"Im really happy with it, its rust free " Of course it is, your in Arizona, see any camero's or mustangs while you where there? :) Congratulations on the big score. I had one like that, the guy said he would think about it then would never answer the door or phone again. I happened to catch his wife in the yard one day about a year later & she said" of course, I would love to get that junk out of my yard" and I picked it up the next day.

Horse'n Around

I think its a 71 am I right? The Model # is 1 6051 and the Serial# is 695089. Actually there are some decent muscle and pony cars sitting in yards around here, some have engines and trannys some dont. A lot of them are parts cars. The hard part is getting folks to part with them.

Your right about Az being a great place for finding rust free cars and parts.Remember... its dry heat ! UGH!!!!! There used to be a wrecking yard between Tombstone and the old abaondoned mining town of Fairbanks that had so many muscle cars there being parted out. I bought a '69 Charger R/T from him that had been hit in the rt side dead center and used it for parts for my 69 R/T I had in HS.We used to call him "uncle Ralph".He even had a 34 three window ford and a 40 ford coupe there . I would just go there and drool. This was back in the late 70's to early 80's

This Raider 10 must have been brought to Arizona pretty early in its "life" because the very few Wheel Horse's I have seen out here have pretty much all been brought here from places like, Pennsylvania,Indiana, New Jersey, and most have some rust somewhere. Im going to do some research and find a wiring diagram and go thru the harness on it and make sure its ok, if I need to Ill just rewire it.

John

Horse'n Around

Great find and yes the part sticking out the front is the dozer/snow blade mount-minus the blade I have a 70 raider 12 that came with the 12 hp tecky but blown and replaced with a kohler. I still have the air cleaner assm if interested plus some other tecky parts I'll look around and see what I have. The old tecky's were pretty reliable but the parts were geeting to hard to find and a little pricey for me.Good luck with your new toy. I'll look in the morning and see what I have left as for tecky parts their yours if interested I have no use for them. :)

Thanks for checking to see what you have, I would really appreciate it a whole lot!!! Right now all I have is K161 and K181 Kohler parts. I have nothing for Tecumsehs.. well except for a little 2 1/2 HP minibike engine that I have sitting around :USA:

John

SAM58

I have a parts manual for a 1972 Raider 12 that should be the same.

Electrical diagrams & all...

let me know and I can e-mail it to you from work. It is in .PDF format although not too big.

If you want it, drop me a e-mail & i will send it to you monday.

sam.pelphrey@nov.com

Great haul, Raiders are tought tractors, I let my brother have my Raider 12 ( he bougth it new) original engine still running great.

:)

Roger from southern Iowa

GREAT find!!

I sure like my Raider 12. :)

JimD

That's a nice one Az. Hope you find a plow for it, in case you need to move some dirt. :)

Horse'n Around

That's a nice one Az. Hope you find a plow for it, in case you need to move some dirt. :)

UGH dirt, Yup theres a lot of that to be had around here. You know we did have snow once last year, it was about 1/4 inch and lasted about as long as it took to blink my eyes :wh: I know I wasnt imagining it because I took a picture of it..... with a real fast shutter setting of course:P Actually in the pictures my yard actually looks like it has grass but it is indeed about 98.9% weeds and other assorted thorny painfull green stuff. I even gave some of the cuttings out of the catcher to the steer that my neighbor has as a 4H project and it refused to eat it, for that matter so did their billy goat... now thats must be some nasty tasting stuff because that goat ate a dry tumble weed and a freshly opened pack of Camel cigarettes (no filters) that it grabbed out of a friends pocket, thats whay he gets for smoking... my friend not the goat, the goat just chews 'em hahahaha.

Well at least it looks green in the pics, that willl have to do untill we can move :USA:

Oh by the away I figured out its a 1970 model, now I just have to find a usable link for a wiring diagram, the one that I found said the file is corrupted or damaged.... rats!

John

Suburban 550

Nice find, John. :) You'll have to find yourself a snowblade if you plan on moving back to Pa. someday.

Greg Parnell

That's a nice tractor, especially when you finally get what you've wanted.

Buzz

Nice looking tractor John. There are manuals for it that you can download here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals2/

You have to join first before you can download them but it's quick and painledd and free. They are in the files section.

You can also download them from Toro. Put 1-6051 for model and "none" for serial number; https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Have fun.

Hey... I see GRASS in the pictures! Are you sure you're in AZ?

racinfool40

OK I dug out the air cleaner housing 2 set of engine tins i-white 1-red 2 heads and a pulse style fuel pump that was on my tecky hh-120 I'mpetty sure they will fit yours but not positive maybe some one else on here will chime and let us know.Sorry no carbs though.My tecky wouldn,t run right with out the fuel pump tried gravity feed and would run very good replaced the pulse style pump with a new one and ran great so if your interested let me know......MIKE

Horse'n Around

Well I started tearing into the Raider this morning to see what is what with it.I am really please with it.I need to repair or possible rewire part if the harness and the rear brake shoe is missing as is the brake rod and its acompanying hardware,other than that theres a few things that have been rigged, it looks like it was well taken care of before it started sitting. Even the shifter boot is in good shape, not even dried out or cracked which surprises the heck out of me with the heat here in Az.When I looked at the gear lube in the trans it looks great too, no sign of any contamination at all.. YES !!!!!! . As I looked around at everything taking it all in,everything looked pretty straight forward untill I noticed that the inward bend along the lower edge of the drive belt guard has been unbent. I knew something was amiss so I removed it and it appears that someone put a larger rear pulley on it, it is painted gray too. Im not sure what diameter came on it origionally but this one measures 6" from the outside edge to the other edge across the center.The other two pulleys are 4". Also if you look at the inside of the belt guard , youll see that there has been a significant amount of rubbing, and there appears to be some sort of keeper for lack of a better word welded to the inside of the belt guard that has been bent... presumably to clear the belt . Oh I almost forgot, if you look at the upper 4"pulley (in the first photo)you will see a piece of bent metal that sticks out from on top of the upper 4" pulley that looks like it was being used for a belt guide or something.This piece of metal is mounted to the frame with the bolt that runs thru the pulley.Something tells me that this piece isnt supposed to be there. Im 99.9% positive that someone changed the rear pulley and with the different belt/pulley geometry that resulted they ended up having to do some rigging... or am I wrong about that :) If it has been changed I want to put the correct size pulley/pulleys back on it... if anyone can tell me what diameter pulley or pulleys it origionally came with I would really appreciate it.I posted some more pics of the drive pulleys etc. below.

I need to replace both rear axle seals as well as the seal behind the large pulley. Im going to do some digging and see if I can find a cross reference chart so I can go to the place in Tucson that sells bearings belts chains and seals.I might end up just pulling them out and taking them along with me so they can measure it . I would sure appreciate any help you can give me :) Im having a blast with it, I can hear it run already :USA: .... ok ok I can just hear the starter cranking over... for now, hows that? I dont want to get too greedy :wh:

John

Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Horse'n Around

Nice looking tractor John. There are manuals for it that you can download here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals2/

You have to join first before you can download them but it's quick and painledd and free. They are in the files section.

You can also download them from Toro. Put 1-6051 for model and "none" for serial number; https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Have fun.

Hey... I see GRASS in the pictures! Are you sure you're in AZ?

Thanks for the links Buzz, I did what you said and there it was !!!! I printed the manual for it so now I have the wiring diagram too :) As for the green, we actually had a decent monsoon so some of the green stuff has surfaced here and there which is nice.

Thanks again for all the help!

John

Horse'n Around

OK I dug out the air cleaner housing 2 set of engine tins i-white 1-red 2 heads and a pulse style fuel pump that was on my tecky hh-120 I'mpetty sure they will fit yours but not positive maybe some one else on here will chime and let us know.Sorry no carbs though.My tecky wouldn,t run right with out the fuel pump tried gravity feed and would run very good replaced the pulse style pump with a new one and ran great so if your interested let me know......MIKE

Im going to send you a messsage right now Mike,

Thanks !

John

Horse'n Around

I have a parts manual for a 1972 Raider 12 that should be the same.

Electrical diagrams & all...

let me know and I can e-mail it to you from work. It is in .PDF format although not too big.

If you want it, drop me a e-mail & i will send it to you monday.

sam.pelphrey@nov.com

Great haul, Raiders are tought tractors, I let my brother have my Raider 12 ( he bougth it new) original engine still running great.

:)

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the offering to email me the manual, Buzz sent me a link and told me how to find the manual so I printed it . Thanks again for the offer I really appreciate it.

John

B-8074

Looks like a real solid tractor. Glad your having fun. Any word on when you'll be coming to the land of the Wheel Horses?

Horse'n Around

Does anyone know what size the transmission pulley is supposed to be. it appears that the PO put a larger pulley on it,this one is 6" OD I want to put the correct pulley on it but I dont know the diameter it should be. The parts book shows that that its part# 7492 but it doesnt mention the size unfortuneately. If anyone knows the diameter of the correct pulley or possibly has one that they would like to sell I would be forever gratefull.

Thanks,

John

Kelly

i'm sure I have the correct pulley send me a PM

Horse'n Around

i'm sure I have the correct pulley send me a PM

Kelley, I sent you a PM. Thanks!

John