Sign in to follow this  
yokomist

Nervous about new tractor

yokomist

Hey Guys,

Well the great state of Florida produced another WH for me today, however I am not too sure about this one as its a little further gone than my other two.

Its a 1966 1056 that the seller had owned since new. It has not run in quite a few years but the engine turns freely by hand. He said he stopped using it because the deck broke.

It came with original sales receipt, financing paperwork, manual, moldboard plow and cultivators.

My concerns are that the plow does not have a coulter (apparently thats how he got it when new), the transmission has back and forth movement fine but no side to side (so I cant get it into gear), also its missing a control arm for front right and the front tires are definately shot.

How would I go about freeing up the tranny? I didnt wont to be forceful and break anything, hence asking the wheel horse gurus first!

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01615.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

Any Advice?

Thanks!

Bevan

hcminis

Bevan

Looks like a fairly good score to me. Not certain on the tranny but if your engine turns there is pretty good hope. That plow and cultivator look like a nice find by them self. Tires can be replaced and might have some I could sell you cheap. Would have to do some digging and you might need some tubes.

Have you tried to lift the rear end up and turn the tires?

Heck I started with this and the engine was almost completely locked up. Now the engine runs and most parts are blasted and primered.

mollycam9067.jpg

You Tube video of motor running

HankB

Any Advice?

I'd start soaking anything you might want to disassemble with your favorite penetrating oil. (Mine is PB Blaster.)

I've seen mention in other threads that you can tell some about the trans by pulling the shift turret. Might be a good place to start. You could also drain the trans and inspect the shift boot. For the last two that I've bought (an '85 312-8 and '71 Raider 12), the boot was disintegrating and allowed water to get into the trans. On the Raider 12, the oil came out looking like something from Starbucks with a lot of cream in it. :) And that one seemed to work well. But it was used regularly. I could imagine that had it sat for a long time, rust could form and cause parts to stick. I think you are wise not to force anything, but you could try turning the input pulley by hand.

It might be worth pulling the drive belt cover and removing the drive belt so you can work with the engine w/out any worries about the trans.

With a little luck, the problems will be superficial.

best,

hank

wh79d160

IMO ,The colter isn't a big deal, most people don't use them anyway. Unless your plowing sod or hard ground, it's not necessary. It just makes it look a little nicer. Nice find. :)

yokomist

Thanks for the replies!

The transmission pully wont turn at all and the boot is torn and loose... I am guessing I have a transmission rebuild in my future. Is this a difficult thing to do?

The plow has the words BURGH and DB on it, thats all the markings I can see. Thats great about not needing the coulter too.

Hopefully if I can get it running and the transmission repaired it wont be too bad for the $175 I gave for everything.

Thanks

Bevan

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: Beavn I would try soaking the tranny with Marvel for a few day to see if this loosen it up any thing then flush with kerosene.with wheel off ground. T/Care Gary B...

yokomist

Oh and I lifted the rear and the wheels do turn freely... hmmm

Bevan

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: OK Bevan I would flush the tranny with kerosene buy turning over the axel, for a while to try and flush out the old fluid that is in there u will be amazed what u will see when u drop the fluid,all kinds of stuff will come out that looks like butter scotch. well good luck of course this would be easy if the motor is running. T/C Gary B....

jpmcleod

Where in Florida do you live?

I live just south of Orlando and feeel lonely down here.

yokomist

Hey there,

I recently moved to Lakeland from Port St Lucie.

Im not too far from you at all.

What tractors do you have?

Bevan

MikesRJ

Looks like a case of that fine salty Florida air.

Duff

Bevan, nice score! We've seen 'em in a lot worse shape brought back to life with a little love and patience. If you do have to open up the tranny, it's really not that difficult a job.

Have fun!

Duff :)

stevasaurus

I would pull and split the trans and clean it out. It is not a hard job to do at all. The gasket and any bearings are available. Also, a couple of threads exist in transmissions that have plenty of pictures and will walk you through it. You know water has gotten in over the years, just flushing will not clean it out Help is here if you need it. :):USA:

BTW...nice horse and it is worth it. :wh:

yokomist

Thanks Guys for all the replies and tips.

Unfortunately the only good news is that the forks are aligned.

I will start a new thread in the transmission section of the forum.

Bevan

jpmcleod

Bevan. I live in St. Cloud about 50 miles from you. My brother lives in Lakeland. I moved to Osceola County from Lakeland in the late 60's.

I go there to see my brother and if you PM me and give me some info regarding you address and phone number, matbe we can connect.

Check the Florida Flywheelers schedule and maybe we can hook-up and make the trip.

I have 6 Wheel Horse tractors and a varity of others.