Sign in to follow this  
HankB

The legendary 312-8

HankB

Maybe legendary is going too far. But it seems to me that this model is highly regarded by aficionados on this site. The 12hp K301 is a terrific engine with enough grunt for anything shy of the largest decks or 2 stage snow thrower. (I suppose it could power a 2 stage thrower, but lifting with the manual lever would take some muscle.) The 8-speed trans seems to be favored by many as well. and this is the last design produced by WH before they sold to Toro. And Toro thought enough of the design to produce it more or less for over 20 years.

P1000934-PP.JPG

Model number looks like 21-12K801 which makes it an '85 model. Sadly, it postdates the switch from embossed metal name tags and it has a paper tag in front of the seat.

The battery was run down but a jump brought it to life. And that resulted in mouse next remains being blown out from the engine shroud. It doesn't respond much to the throttle either, but the cobwebs and other detritus are probably holding it back. At mid RPM, the engine sounded great! Front tires look brand new but they're mounted on non-WH rims and shimmed with about 2" of flat washers on each side. I should ask the PO if he still has the original wheels.

Otherwise, everything seems to work. A little cleaning up and I'm sure it wold be ready to cut grass. A little more work and it cold look as good as new.

IMO it would have been a good deal at $150. As a bonus, I got a 42" blade (and the highly valued rear axle bracket) as well as tire chains and extra blades.

This isn't going to replace my 314-H as I really like the hydro and hydraulic lift and magnum, but I could see this being either a good unit to restore or just clean up and sell.

Now... Off to the back corner where SWMBO won't see it so I can introduce them at the right time. :)

Now off to my next project! (Which is to figure out why all of a sudden my 314-H does nothing when I turn the key. :facepalm: Is it angry that I got another tractor?)

Cleaverkid

I gotta get me one of those!!!

Great looking machine! Can't wait for the updates!

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: Hi Hank these are great tractors they are bluet proof I had an 312A for a while it was a great tractor But in time a like the older styles better. So enjoy your tractor take care of it and it will take care of u. Gary B.......newpicsofthe312A001-2.jpg

SAM58

I purchaed a 1985 416-8 back in JUly and it is a great machine.

I wish they were more in this area....

good find :)

I had a 1972 Raider 12, I let my brother have it back after I restored it (he bought it new) but I am starting to like the newer ones better...

The one on the left looks like my 1998 314-8, love it too!

:USA: :wh:

HankB

Thanks, guys, for the comments.

I forgot to mention - When the guy opened in his garage door he had "GO DEERE" plates on his car. He said his friends kept asking him why he had a red tractor in his yard. :) I did see a John Deere wagon in his garage. Other than that, he seemed like a decent guy.

(the one in the background is my '97 314-H)

-hank

Duff

Oh, yeah, you got yourself a winner for sure! Congrats! I chuckled to read about the mouse nest parts and pieces blowing out of the shroud. I can't leave either of my 312's outside overnight without the beady eyed little bastids starting a housing development in 'em. :)

Have fun with it!

Duff :USA: :wh:

Kelly

Hank make sure you pull the blower housing and get all the nest out, or you could have some blocking the cooling fins and create hot spots, I think because they did not change the body style for so many years and they are newer that is why you see so many of them.

dobeleo

Hey Hank,

Rebuilding an 86 312-A, tractor hasnt run in over 15 years, cant wait to get it done

Dan

stevasaurus

Excellent snag Hank...what a great looking horse. :USA: Will we see it at a show next year? :)

Redbird

As for the JD plates----I tell JD owners that it's green 'cause it's a Wheel Horse that just ain't ripe yet :)

Birdie :USA:

PS-I have a 312-8 too. Hubby gave it to me when we got married. I love mine!

HankB

First order of business is to

- remove and clean out the engine shroud and inspect for chewed wiring.

- change engine and trans oil and replace the shift boot and lube all grease points.

- charge and test the battery

- generally clean up and check. Probably needs an air cleaner too. I need to get the engine to full throttle too.

It might be at one of the shows. :) I would have to decide what to bring. I can fit two for sure in my truck and on the trailer. When I get the A-80-E finished I'll definitely bring that as it would likely be the only vertical engine WH at the show. (For the two shows where I paid attention, there were no other vertical WH lawn tractors.)

thanks,

hank