Sign in to follow this  
Cleaverkid

Toro/Wheel Horse 15-38HXL

Cleaverkid

Hey folks,

I already know the answer to my question...but just wanted to get your attention. My father-in-law has a 99 Toro/Wheel Horse 15-38HXL that is starting to leak some hydro oil. I haven't seen it yet since it's 120 miles away, but he says he's been told it will cost $900 to fix and the Hydro is a sealed unit and must be replaced as a whole. I can't believe that, but thought I'd ask the "experts"!

I'm probably going to try tackling this if I hear the right answer, so any suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

:USA: :)

Cleaverkid

Does anyone know anything at all about this?

IthacaJeff

I don't know what a hydro for this unit should go for, but there is no way

I would pay $900! There is the same Toro tractor on a CNY CL for $575.

I'd part out the Toro, take the $900 for a new hydro unit, and get me a

really nice 414, 416, or late model 314 with a Kohler and nice deck.

Jeff in Enfield/Ithaca NY

HankB

A dealer is constrained to perform an authorized repair. I believe most of them cannot perform internal repairs on that sort of stuff. Or perhaps the labor for doing so would be prohibitive. (Any dealers or shop owners who see this, please feel free to refute this if I'm off base!)

That doesn't mean an owner with some technical ability and tools could not effect a repair. Or perhaps could find a replacement trans to swap out, in this case.

So what's the answer to the heritage of this tractor? I don't think it traces it's heritage to WH products and I believe uses a Tuff Torq. I passed a Toro dealer and saw a Toro LGT that looked like a red version of all of the other MTD built units on the market. That's not to say it won't provide good service commensurate with cost. It probably doesn't match the build quality of the Wheel Horse line. It may be that Toro spec'ed an MTD with quality to match the rest of their line up. Then again, I could be totally wrong. Wouldn't be the first time...

FWIW, my son has a Cub Cadet CUT that he's pretty happy with. While he was installing a front end loader, he dug deep enough into the machine to find the MTD name plate.

-hank