Sign in to follow this  
SAM58

TRACTOR MANUAL FOR 1985 416-8 SINGLE CYL KOHLER

SAM58

Help.... :)

I need a parts manual for my 1985 416-8. :USA:

does anyone have one? I have checked on the Toro Manual page, and the one I need is not available. :)

:wh:

JoeMonag

I have an '86 416-8. If you plug in the model # for your '85, which I believe is

31-16K801. (If the last digit is a 2, you have an '86 ) into the toro parts look-up sight or Parts Tree.com, you will find they have the original Illustrated Parts List, which are the same as the parts manual.Assuming your have the single cyl. K341-S engine the 85 and 86 are almost the same. Alhough. the engine spec # for the "85 is71371 and the '86 is 71381. BTW,I just learned if you engine has a low oil switch, the oil capacity was change from 2quarts to 2.5quarts, and the dip stick was change to a shorter version,p/n 4703818

I have had mine since March, I also have an '88 310-8 got it in 2006 and I had a '73 8hp 4speed I bought in'77, and gave to my brother in 2006. ( he also has a '73 14Hp 8 speed)

What I found is they are one tough tractor, and although there a lot a like, ignition systems, alternator capacity, transmissions, axle size, and tire size do vary.

I there is any thing I can help you with feel free to contact me :JoeMonag@aol.com

Good luck with your 416-8,

Joe in Norton, MA

MikesRJ

Model Number: 31-16K801

Operator Manual - Form #: 810372R1

Parts Catalog - Form #: 810386R1

Neither manual is available from Toro

If you just need yo look-up parts, this may help you out:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Toro+Co...Tractor%2C+1985

SAM58

Thanks Chas,

I did find the parts lookup @ Toro, but call me strange... I thought someone might have it in .PDF format.

thanks again... :wh:

Thanks Joe,

Again I was hoping for a Electronic version, I did get the drawings I needed.

have you ever had a problem with your 416-8 overcharging or not charging?

When I throttle down, my lights go dim, and at full throttle the amp gauge shows 12 amps at first, then slowly go up to about 16 amps. It acts like the voltage regulator. I read in a thread earlier that a bad ground might cause it as well...

I had a Raider 12 and the Rectifier/regulator change fixed it.

I have only had this tractor about 6 weeks, and I am not sure where the voltage regulator is? :)

On my 1998 314-8 it is mounted on the front left side of the engine...

the 1985 16 HP Kohler, I am not sure? :USA:

I guess it is in the engine area with the magneto?

I have a Kohler manual at the office I will check tomorrow.

thanks for your quick response. :)

Sam in Kentucky...

SAM58

Thank You too Mike!

:):wh: :USA:

JoeMonag

Sam, does your 416-8 have an amp meter? I think your have a volt meter.

The 85 416 has a two circuit unregulated system. One is an A/C circiut that comes directly off the alternator to operate the lights, the other circuit feeds a diode that converts the A/C to D/C, and charges the battery, and operates the volt and hour meters.

So what you are describing is normal. You can tell as the lights on your model only work when the engine is running

My 310-8 has this system, and the voltage can goe as high as 16 volts, my 310-8 manual recomends to check the battery water due to slight over charging.

The "86 416 change to a 15 amp stator alternator, with an blower housing mounted air cooled recitfier/ regulator, and Halogen head lights. I have a "JohnnyBucket" onthe 310-8, and I find at night the lighting is not that good. The Halogen light on my 416 are like flood lights, compared to the 310.

Joe in Norton

JoeMonag

Dan, I just doubled checked your wiring diagram on page 7-78 from the Toro De-mistifiaction Guide for the 1985 416-8 and it is the two circiut system I described. So yo do not have a voltage regulator. You can download the guide from the Toro site. It is a great reference tool if you work on Wheel Horse tractors, it is setup by tractor series 200,300 400 and 500 s and then by year, Joe in Norton

JoeMonag

Hey Sam, sorry about that I called you Dan Joe in Norton

SAM58

Joe,

What you are describing is exactly what it does... and it is a relief to know that it is supost to act that way. :USA:

That's why I could not find the regulator, it doesn't have one. :)

I think you are right also about the gauge, it is for voltage, not amps.

Lights are dim at idle, and brighter the faster I run it.

At med to high throttle the lights are very bright, but at an idle they look like a old flashlight with the batteries almost gone.

Also, at an idle I noticed that when I turn on the lights, I can hear a humming noise form the engine. turn the lights off it goes away...

Hopefully that is normal also. :wh:

What got me checking this was I have a light blow, and then about a week later the other one blowed. so I have replaced them both with part # 4411-1 from a local Auto Parts store.

Both lamps were old, one had a plastic housing, the other was glass.

This tractor doesn't have tail lights, just reflectors, do you think it would cause problems if I added them into the head light circuit?

thanks

I am 99% sure it is a 1985 model, takes only 2 qts. for the engine oil.

The only gauge it has is the Voltage, no lights or warnings on the dash.

Duff

This tractor doesn't have tail lights, just reflectors, do you think it would cause problems if I added them into the head light circuit?

On the 300-series tractors with headlights and taillights, they are both on the same circuit so you should be all set adding them.

Cheers!

Duff :)

JoeMonag

Sam, the wiring diagram for the 1985 416-8 shows rear lights , in the circiut. So check to make sure you don't have them, as the light lens are only about 3/4" high and the bulbs are small. If you get us the model # (loacted at the front side of the fender pan in the middle just below the seat,) we can get you the actual year. If your is a 1985 it will be 31-16K801.

Joe in Norton

SAM58

MODEL # 31-16K801

I also seen where it shows tail lights, but I don't see evidence of someone changing. There are no wires cut or terminated under the seat pan.

Rear View just reflectors pop revited in...

My Webpage

First two Pictures shows the back of this tractor when I first seen it, before I cleaned it up with a pressure washer.

Not sure if it came from the factory this way, but it looks like it did.

Anyway I think I will put 4 in LED lights on it.

thanks