Sign in to follow this  
churnee

'83 C-125 ?'s

churnee

Hello all-

I have been using the c-125 8 speed for about three months and like it. I do have some questions though about the steering.

1) When I turn hard to the left, the steering wheel "skips" and the tires don't move. I looked at the fan gear and the steering shaft and they seem to be unaligned when turning left, hence the "skipping". Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole steering assembly? if not, is there a way to tell if used one are in good shape? i.e. ones off ebay?

2) I also need tie rods because the others fell off. Need them before winter is here so I can plow the driveway. Would these work?

Thanks

Docwheelhorse

You need to re-shim the steering shaft where it goes through the fan assembly... lay on your back and follow the shaft from the front axle backwards. You wiill see where it goes through the fan and there will be a stack of thin shims/washers and a cotter pin. You need to remove the cotter pin and add a few shims to tighten the fan gear to steering wheel gear gap. I usually pry gently backwards on the shaft in the area between the front axle and frame with a screwdriver to get it tight and allow me to shove the cotter pin home. It will be good as new after that... you can buy thin shims/washers with a 3/4" hole at any decent hardware store.

Tony

• Like 1

Don1977

If the fan gear doesn't look right when turned left, you may need a new bushing The steering shaft below the gear is steel to cast iron it could be worn if it was not greased and one bushing on that end of the fan gear. If the bushing is good and the steering shaft tight the shims should fix it.

churnee

Ok thanks. Got under there and looked at the steering shaft, looks like the cotter pin had been worn down and was close to snapping off. Going to TSC and getting some more cotter pins. Don't think I will need anymore shims. Might pick some up just to be safe.

Also, I ordered the tie rods in the link and will keep you posted on the fitment. Thanks again for all the help.

tgranthamfd

The tie rods should work for you, as well.

churnee

Ok the new cotter pin and tie rods did the trick! :)

Happy again!!

Thanks again

Jon