Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

new from MI

harleyjj

Hello all,

I am new to the Wheelhorse hobby and looking to purchase my first tractor. I grew up around a few Wheelhorse tractors but I must admit most of this is all new to me. I am located in the detroit area and looking to purchase a tractor locally. any help/advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Justin

whfan74

Justin,

:USA: Those are my old stomping grounds. What city are you in?

Sorry I am not up there........could have fixed you up with your first one. Check with Perry, he might have something that you are looking for. You made it to the right place and good luck on your search. :)

dclarke

:) good luck with your first :USA:

racinfool40

:) seems to be some collectors in your neck of the woods GOOD LUK!! :USA:

bk-scouter

Welcome Justin. :) If your looking for a WH, you don't have far to go. Check your Craigslist for the Detroit area, Bay City & the thumb area, Ohio, Indiana, there's a ton of 'em. Check the 'for sale' ads here in R.S. too. Have fun shopping !

-BK

harleyjj

Thanks for the warm welcome! we live in Redford Township which is a western suburb of Detroit. I have allready sent Perry a message about the tractor he has listed for sale. I am not against having to drive a distance to get one but would like the advice of someone more familiar with these machines to help guide me in my purchase, rather than relying on craigs list. This tractor will be used primarily for fun, and pushing snow in the winter months also if i can find one with a tiller for cultivating a backyard garden. I am unfortunately working on a pretty limited budget and not afraid to tackle a project with my son but would really like a functioning tractor to start with.

bk-scouter

You will find that most W.H.'s will fit that need your looking for, varying in all price ranges depending on condition, collectability, age, attachments, etc. This is the place to learn about them that's for sure... Great hobby to share with your son too :)

BTW., my wife grew up in the Redford Twp. area, near Telegraph and Joy Roads. Small world :USA:

-BK

Suburban 550

:USA: Justin. Good Luck in your search for a Wheel Horse. :)

W9JAB
goodnewseveryone.jpg

Roger from southern Iowa

:) Justin!!!

Wish you the best in getting your first horse.

whfan74

Well glad you made it aboard. I grew up in Waterford so not too far from where you are located.

Good luck on your :USA: hunt and Perry can help guide you in the right direction for what you are needing/wanting.

Enjoy the forum and make sure to post pictures of your new Horse once you acquire it! :)

JimD

:)

rickv1957

Hello and :) ,Rick

HankB

Hi Justin,

:wh:

I have a son in Ovid which is not too far from you. He has an Electro 12 (that he was supposed to pick up for me and subsequently decided to keep!) but it is not for sale.

If you post the desired usage for your tractor, you'll get lots of (possibly conflicting) suggestions for the model that is right for you. :USA: Of course, the true solution to that is to get several different models to meet your various needs. :)

I would suggest contacting Kelly in Charlotte, MI as he will likely have a number of tractors for sale at any given time and is a generally helpful guy. It's probably worth a trip to his place just to check out his collection and he can tell you about various models. Also check craigslist in the surrounding area for good buys. Ohio particularly seems to have what look like good tractors at attractive prices. (Probably a result of depressed economic conditions :) ) My other thought is to be patient and diligent. A better deal will always come along but may not last long.

Good luck and happy hunting!

-hank

stevasaurus

:USA: Justin, both Kelly and Perry are excellent people with a wealth of knowledge. I'll bet you end up with everything you want from them. :)

HankB

:wh: Justin, both Kelly and Perry are excellent people with a wealth of knowledge. I'll bet you end up with everything you want from them. :USA:

I'll need to look up Perry. I might have reason to be visiting near Auburn Hills in the not too distant feature. :) My son may be moving to Auburn Hills.

stevasaurus

Hank...I owe Perry a bottle of homemade wine. If you are going out there to see him let me know. He may be going to Scott's though. I got him covered there if that is the case. :)

whfan74

Well I hope those guys can make it on the 2nd. I know it would be quite a haul for Perry but would love to see him there!

HankB

Hank...I owe Perry a bottle of homemade wine. If you are going out there to see him let me know. He may be going to Scott's though. I got him covered there if that is the case. :)

If/When I go that way, I would be delighted to deliver Perry a case of wine.

horsefeathers

:) If you are on a budget there are a lot of roll up yur sleaves tractors out there for you! Sweat equity pays off every time!

:USA: HORSEFEATHERS!

zieg72

:thumbs:

btrrg1969

d180man

Hi :wh::thumbs: :)

perry

Hank...I owe Perry a bottle of homemade wine. If you are going out there to see him let me know. He may be going to Scott's though. I got him covered there if that is the case. :thumbs:

If/When I go that way, I would be delighted to deliver Perry a case of wine.

heck ya, let me know if your ever in the area. the wood stove is allways burning in the shop :)

AMC RULES