Sign in to follow this  
Audioshot

Bagging deck height

Audioshot

Is there an optimal deck height that is recommended when using the tube and bagger? I normally mow in the third position (@ 3"). I'm just looking to suck up some leaves and not really concerned about cut height. The deck is a 37" sidedischarge.

Thanks

Save Old Iron

If you are mainly interested in lifting debris off the grass, raise the deck as high as you can. This will promote the most amount of AIRFLOW thru the deck. VACUUM will drop off a little, but your are looking for AIRFLOW to keep the debris suspended and tossed into the bags.

Lower the deck 1/2 inch at time if you're leaving debris behind.

Audioshot

Great! Thank you. I've never used the bagger before and I'm getting ready to mount it on the machine for the first time.

Don1977

I've never used a bagger. I have a vacuum and I mow backwards with it throw the grass and leaves in. What escapes you get in the next round.

Save Old Iron

I normally mow in the third position

I have tried to mow in the "third position" myself but have found it difficult to get under the low hanging branches of the apple trees !!

Attached Image

post-4-1283906628.jpg

HankB

I normally mow in the third position

I have tried to mow in the "third position" myself but have found it difficult to get under the low hanging branches of the apple trees !!

First position works better under trees.

first.jpg

Save Old Iron

Good advise Hank.

and while we are on the topic, I think this little move would work great for snagging those NOS mower belts from the top shelf of your parts rack !

Attached Image

post-4-1283930487.jpg

Audioshot

:) :USA:

That third position works well as long as the Redmax 8001 is not strapped to my back. If that is the case then I'll resort back to the first position....lol

Duff

Ooooh...the places we could go with this thread........ :)

Duff :USA:

W9JAB

:)

And my posts get deleted? :USA:

dcrage

Geez, I just had to set thru a CBT (Computer Based Training) session last month on harrassment -- Applying what I learned in that session, I think you guys are bordering on "yellow light" behavior -- The things we do in corporate America

OK -- Back to the original proposition of optimum height for bagging leaves

Audio

I have the same setup that you have (or close to it; my tractor is a 310-8 with a 37" SD) -- The BIGGEST issue you are going to have is the leaf load going thru the tube -- When you get a heavy layer of leaves you are going to get a blockage in the tube (and then your mower suddenly becomes a mulcher instead of a vacumn) -- Doesn't matter how slow you go or how high you have the deck set -- OK, there is a small improvement in blockage when you raise the deck, but it is marginal

The best solution when you have a heavy leaf load is to make one or two passes with the mower prior to bagging, the smaller pieces of leafs don't get caught as easily -- Although it is still possible to do

By the way -- I use the special blade with the extra "wings" attached on the right side of the deck during leaf season -- The special blade DOES improve yard waste pickup versus a normal blade

Audioshot

Thanks dcrage, Good point. I do in fact have that wing blade that goes on the discharge side spindle. I've never used it. I think I'll handle the heavy leaf load with the backpack blower and the rest of the clean-up with the bagger.

Save Old Iron

Dave brings up a really good point on the blade choice for bagging. I too bag with a Deere mower ( Sorry Will, I just have not yet been able to rebuild the vacuum attachment I bought from you last year).

If JD or WH has specified "bagger blades" - USE THEM and don't accept substitutes from other manufactures. I did the gator blade "equivalents" and no way were they the same as the hi lift JD's

Save Old Iron

I think you guys are bordering on "yellow light" behavior

Living life just sneaking under the Yellow Light - exhilarating !

Besides ...

Attached Image

post-4-1284010799.jpg