Sign in to follow this  
whfan74

Found something new for the collection

whfan74

Well Marshall that is one cool looking piece of equipment.

The get together is open to any brand but the majority of tractors that are going to be there will be Wheel Horse.

I believe there might be an old Sears Suburban there as well as one of my former student's Simplicity. I have had others inquire about bringing other brands as well.

If you can't choose.......bring them both! :)

Suburban 550

Nice find, Scott. :USA: A great addition to your collection. :)

rickv1957

NIce find there Scott!! :) ,Rick

emsfire138

I just picked up one similar to yours, only with the Clinton 1100 engine...and no attachments. I'd like to make a sulky for it just for fun, as it's just for my collection anyway.

Mine also has the 6/12 Silvertowns on black rims.

Looks to me as if the handlebar uprights were replaced at some point.

I was told it was a PT-30, which I also understood indicated the Clinton engine.

I haven't tried t start it up yet - I want to clean up the fuel system, etc. first, but it ran less than 2 years ago and has been stored indoors since in a nice heated shop.

I'd love to restore it, but need some info on correct colors, etc. I can see remnants of red paint on parts of the clutch / drive system and the Clinton engine is the "stock" greenish color.

From what I've been able to glean thus far, the black wheels are correct and were mounted "inwards" from the factory to make it narrower - but were to be swapped side-to-side to widen the stance.

Anyone have any ideas on the colors? Esp. where to find that Clinton "green" color paint??

Thanks!

Scott

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1288259280.jpg

emsfire138

Here are a couple more pics...

Attached Image

post-3-1288259573.jpg

whfan74

You picked up a real beauty. I am not 100% sure on all of the colors but I believe you are correct with the rim color as well as the Clinton motor color. Mine seems to be all original and the handle bars and frame seem to be Wheel Horse red. I am in the midst of another project right now so mine is awaiting it's turn in line. I will look forward to seeing some pics of yours once you have it all squared away! Good luck! :thumbs:

emsfire138

Thanks Scott! I was happy to find one of these as well.

Are the "uprights" to your handle bars round bar or flat stock? I can tell the steel is new on the uprights on mine. They did a nice job, but I want to make sure it is correct. I also think mine is supposed to have a flat cross-piece about a third of the way up where there would have been a decal that said "Pond Wheel Horse"...it is shown in the manual for the '54 model.

It's just really difficult to get too much info on these as there are so few still around (or at least few people who know what they are)!!

I'd really like to just get it running for now. Maybe I'll have time to restore it next year. I'll get some more pics up as I get going on it.

I too have three other tractors and a couple plow blade attachments that I am working on right now and time and warm weather is running out for this year!

Unfortunately, being disabled, I can only do a little at a time...but they turn out nice in the end. It just gives me something I can do to try to keep my mind and body as strong as possible...it's just that my mind seems to pass my body up all too often.

Enjoy!

Scott

emsfire138

Scott...I actually picked this Walk-Away up over there in northern Indiana. I am over in northern Illinois, so maybe we'll run into each other at one of the shows in Indiana next year. I am hoping to be able to make it to a few by next year.

If you (or anyone else) ever need anything from over this way, please never hesitate to let me know. I don't mind filling up a spot or two on the trailer to help out a fellow Wheel Horse guy!

Regards,

Scott in Rockford, IL

whfan74

Scott,

I am hoping we can get the chance to run in to one another at some point. Would really love to have you attend our next Meet and Greet next fall. We had a fantastic turn out this year and we are looking forward to growing larger next year.

Thank you for the offer! I might just take you up on that some time! :thumbs:

I will do some checking on the handlebars and get back to you on that.