Sign in to follow this  
DMESS

Hello!

DMESS

Since this is my first official RS post I guess an introduction is in order. My name is Dustin and I imagine a few of you already know me as the younger half of the "Hooked on Horses" stable. If you've been to any of the first 8 WHCC shows, you've seen me, my father Dan or at least the "Hooked on Horses" sign. We've been at this for awhile to say the least! Now I'm not sure how I've missed out on what appears to be an EXCELLENT forum for so long, but I'm finally here and I'll be sticking around. I've got a few bits of Wheel Horse knowledge so I hope I can be a useful addition to the ranks.

My Wheel horse "story" spans back to my childhood and actually back to my parents as well. Dad grew up on round hoods and mom was exposed to them on her side too. Let's face it, I had no choice....it was genetic! I cut my teeth on my grandfather's 702 and slowly developed a strange affection for that little tractor. My interest grew and thus "Hooked on Horses" came to be. One tractor led to another and they eventually led me to others who shared the love of these little machines. This probably puts us around 1997-1998 which is about when things got rolling on the "web". What started out as a small group of unconnected enthusiasts started to become a community. I've been luckey enough to see it from the beginning and it's been incredible to say the least. It still amazes me how these little tractors have created such a wonderful hobby and I've met some of the greatest people.

So, what's my favorite shade of red? Well, I've got three particular areas that I have the most interest/knowledge in: 1958-1964 "roundhoods" because we've just about had em' all, the mighty C-195 because, hey, if you see one, you WANT one and what I call "maroon stripes". Yeah, the 1985-1989 tractor with, obviously, the maroon stripes. LOVE em. They are sorta my generation so to speak and what I feel to be the last "real" horses. These are the machines I remember seeing in the dealerships when they were new. Yes, there are many great 1990 to present Toro branded machines, I just don't like that four letter word! Personal thing and I keep that to myself, so don't worry!

So that's my long winded introduction....You'll get to read plenty more cause my fingers have trouble shutting up sometimes! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a 417-8 out in the garage calling my name.

T-Mo

Dustin,

Let me be the first to :thumbs: . It sounds like you and your dad are well know in Wheel Horse circles. I'm a relatively newcomer to the brand, but I'm vastly learning from these guys. Your story, though, is a wonderful one, and it sounds like your whole family is loyal to the brand. Great story. I hope we see a lot of posts from you. And remember - :thumbs: . :D

nylyon

Hi Dustin glad you found us in our little secluded corner on the internet. Some folks here never heard of Wheel Horses until they ran across one for sale, and others like you (and me) never really knew there were other tractors other than Wheel Horses.

Good to have you here, please post plenty of pictures.

DMESS

Thanks for the warm welcome. This forum is a FABULOUS change over the far too many Yahoo groups, vastly easier to navigate and just plain superior. I use similar boards for my snowmobiling and diesel truck "diseases" as well, and the Wheel Horse community has needed this type of forum for far too long.

I'll be around often and will certainly get some pictures flowing!

CasualObserver

Dustin, pleased to make your "virtual acquaintance." I have heard of your family name in and around a few of the WH circles. You are correct about this being the HOT forum right now. It is a very good layout and we all enjoy the conversations. As someone put it a few weeks ago... it's like a big campout... lots of little fires campfire.gif with lots of topics and knowledge flowing! Pull up a seat and jump in! :thumbs:

p.s... Karl, what happened to the "Camp Counselor" avatar? I liked that one!

nylyon

Welcome to Camp Wheel Horse. By the way, that was TT who coined that phrase... the avatar is Lumpus from Camp Lazlo (pretty funny show!)

C-Series14

Glad to have your knowledge here Dustin. Have been around this red stuff awhile too and have met you and Dan at a couple of the "early" shows. Hope to get my military thing out of the limelight so I can make it to the show again in the future and see some old friends...

"HiredGuns14" sound familiar???

DMESS

How can I forget the C-Series biggest fan? Good to hear from you Mike. Hope all is well in Ohio.

C-Series14

Are there other models other than the C-Series? :thumbs:

Rod(NASNUT)

DMESS :thumbs: We are 1 happy famly here :thumbs: