Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Pics of axle oil seal installation

IthacaJeff

WH'ers;

My 416-8 has developed a pretty good leak out of its left axle seal. I've read all I

could on RS about swapping out the seals, but it would really help to have some

pictures, as well as any helpful hints. I've yet to have the wheel and hub off, so

I've not been able to check for play in the axle indicating bad bearings. For now,

let's hope it is just seals.

The Toro part number for the seal is 100863. Can I take that number down to my

local NAPA and they cross reference to a generic oil seal? Or should I only go

Toro?

Thanks,

Jeff in Ithaca

pfrederi

The seal cross reference is included with the bearing thread pinned at the top of this section.

Remove the wheel and the hub (that may turn out to be fun) pick out the old seal. Check teh axle for any up down- fore and aft movement. Should not be any. Some in an out movement is ok.

Clean the axle. I put electrical tape over the key way and any set screw created rough spots. Grease th new seal and install it... I use some pvc pipe

rmaynard

Word of advice-if the hubs are stuck on the axles, DO NOT attempt to removed them by banging on them with a hammer. You will do one of two things, break the hub, or knock the clip off inside the transmission that hold the axles in place. Always remove them with a hub puller. Sometimes, a trip to the machine shop may be order to have them pressed off.

Once off, and after you've determined that there is no play in the bearings, removal and installation of new seals is relatively simple.

Here is a cross reference with part numbers for seals and bearings.

http://www.brandywineits.com/graphics/file...ssReference.pdf

I use NAPA now exclusively since they are made from stainless steel and not plastic like the TORO's are.

Bob

Don1977

I got mine from Advance Auto - National (federal Mogul) No. 340835. That 's for a

1 1/8" axle.

IthacaJeff

Thanks gents. . . I'm preparing myself for the worst, hoping for the best. I've also

found a few other threads here on RS that will come in handy.

Jeff in Ithaca, NY

Aussie

Jeff

I also have a 416-8 (1989) and it appears there were two sizes of axle seal used in my model. This is in reference to the OD, not the axle diameter. Not sure if you are aware of this, or if it applies to other years, but otherwise may pay to check before ordering seals. I believe they were available in 1 3/8" or 1 5/8" OD, the 1 5/8" are apparently more common, but mine has the smaller ones. These are also very difficult to pry out with only 1/8" edges.

tractorbeast

I few thoughts on the stainless steel axle seals. Maybe I need a stainless steel pick, but I've never got one out without drilling and threading a skinny screw into the seal. My last attempt, today, broke the tip off of the pick(Craftsman tool)This wont work on a stainless seal I doubt. It is very hard as it is, to drill into 1/8" wide seal with 3 to 4 inches of axle shaft in the way of the drill. Just my experience with my seals, which is only two axle seals, on different models. A raider 9 and a C-105.

hopheadsts

There is enough room, just get pvc and pound the new seal on top the old one, it will hold just fine.