Sign in to follow this  
Pirate

Found the Engine problem.! An odd one!

Pirate

My 414-8, with a 14M Kohler, would run ok, then start running at 50% or less power. Sometimes it would run ok for 45 minutes. Other times for 10 minutes. If I let off on the throttle for a second, then powered up, it would be fine for a while.

It would run smooth but at reduced power, and the exhaust sounded different.

I cleaned the carb, checked fuel pump, checked valve clearances, etc. Still, same problem.

I found that when I banged my hand on the muffler, it would rattle. Something was loose inside.

I finally decided to cut her open. I found the piece shown in the picture. It is an extension of the inlet pipe, and was capped off on the end. Around the outside of the pipe, were a bunch of holes for the exhaust to go thru.

About 2-3 inches to the right of the inscision, there is a hole the exhaust has to go thru on it's way thru the muffler.

I guess at times the broken piece would bounce around, and when the capped end would cover the hole, the pressure would hold it there, and restrict the exhaust.

Welded her back together, and so far, so good. Finally!

bmuone

Amazing 1. a problem like that can happen and 2. you tracked it down. Way to go.

Pirate

Thanks.

I wasn't thrilled to cut into a good muffler, but there wasn't much else to check.

Lane Ranger

THAT

buckrancher

Been there done that I believe their is a couple of threads on this

Brian

stevasaurus

We call that opening you cut in the muffler a "Dutchman" in the phone company. Did many of those in lead sleeves and soldered them back up. Yours looks like you knew where to look and exactly what to cut. :) How did you know where to cut that trap door in the right place at the right size? :USA:

Pirate

To locate where to cut, I shook the muffler, and tried to determine where the loose part was.

I figured the size was ok. Looking back, I should have cut it bigger, just in case the loose part was larger. Just a bit more welding.

Roger from southern Iowa

Good job in finding it!!

Congrats. :)