Sign in to follow this  
vandamja

1979 C-161 Automatic

vandamja

Hello All,

A good friend mine's father gave him his 1979 C-161 Auto. The tractor was purchased new by him and used as a lawn tractor for years. I know it worked well over it's life and cut the grass for 20+ years. Four or five years ago they moved into a condo and took the tractor to their cabin in Northern Michigan. Around that time the tractor started to leak a bit of transmission fluid, and, what with it being a transmission and all, he topped off the fluid with transmission fluid. I don't know the exact kind.

My buddy has had the tractor sitting at his house for over a year, and I told him to bring it over and I would help him restore the thing. The engine is tired and needs to be rebuilt, so that is going to happen, but I am wondering what damage may have been caused by the addition of the transmission fluid.

So, what are we getting ourselves into here? Since the tractor will be completely gone through, what steps should I take with regards to the transmission to ensure the best possible outcome?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

refracman

Before you strip it down change the oil and filter back to specs and see what happens. Run it around/ use it a good while. If it seems OK leave it be, if not, most you would be out is a few quarts of oil and a filter.

WH nut

I dont think you will have a problem, you can run either, but they dont mix well

tgranthamfd

I would think you could change it to either one if you use the proper procedures. There are a couple of posts on here about swapping from one to the other. If I run across a good one I will put up a link for ya.

vandamja

Tgranthamfd,

If you do come across a post that describes the procedure please let me know. I did some searching and have not been able to find anything. I am guessing that there are some lines that should be bled or something in order to purge as much of the mixed fluid as possible, but I have no idea where to start.

I think we will stick with the oil (10W-30) that is specified in manual for this year tractor.

My main concern was that the ATF might have attacked some seals or something that could cause serious problems going forward. From all the responses it sounds like that will probably not be a concern.

Now I just need to figure out where the leak(s) are and address those issues.

vandamja

That was an interesting read.

So, when the OP said he was going to switch to AMS Synthetic, he meant that he will switch to the synthetic equivalent of 10W-30 motor oil?

That was my take on it. I just ask because on Amsoil's web site they have synthetic versions of ATF as well.

It sounds like you can use either with decent results, mixing the two is not what you want.

Thanks again for finding that post.

Jim

gwgdog66

That was an interesting read.

So, when the OP said he was going to switch to AMS Synthetic, he meant that he will switch to the synthetic equivalent of 10W-30 motor oil?

That was my take on it. I just ask because on Amsoil's web site they have synthetic versions of ATF as well.

It sounds like you can use either with decent results, mixing the two is not what you want.

Thanks again for finding that post.

Jim

I'm sure Duke used one of the 10W30 Amsoil synthetics. maybe he will read this post and update us on how the snow eater performed this past winter. :)

tgranthamfd

Tgranthamfd,

If you do come across a post that describes the procedure please let me know. I did some searching and have not been able to find anything. I am guessing that there are some lines that should be bled or something in order to purge as much of the mixed fluid as possible, but I have no idea where to start.

I think we will stick with the oil (10W-30) that is specified in manual for this year tractor.

My main concern was that the ATF might have attacked some seals or something that could cause serious problems going forward. From all the responses it sounds like that will probably not be a concern.

Now I just need to figure out where the leak(s) are and address those issues.

You can go to the search form, at the top right of the page, and put in flush, then switch it over to older posts, and you will get a lot of hits. Some talked about 8 speeds, and some hit on the automatics, a few even hit on mixed fluid. A lot of good information, but just not the one I was thinking I read. Some mentioned doing a flush with whichever you decide to use, and doing it 2 or 3 times, but most said not to mix it, in any quantities. Some told about the time frame when they switched from ATF to 10W-30/40. Myself, I would think if you drained it, filled it with 10W-30, ran it around a little, and did it again, maybe 2 times, it should be fine. I just got my first hydro about a month ago, so I am definitely NOT the expert, there are a lot of people on here that are really sharp when it comes to our tractors. From what I have seen, some of the leak problem areas are the axle and / or the brake shaft seals, and possibly the lift cylinder. Good luck and keep us up on your progress. Terry

vandamja

OK.

As promised, a quick update on the tractor.

We went and picked it up on Sunday. After putting some gas in it, figuring out the safety interrupt switches, and jumping it, it started right up. Pulled it out of the garage that it has been in for about two years, put it on a trailer, and pulled it to my house.

One of the main reasons that this thing finally got parked by my friends dad was that the replacement belt for the mower deck would not fit. Turns out it would not fit because they sold him a 100" belt instead of the 103.25" one that was supposed to go on it. We picked up the right belt, along with the transmission filter and some 10W-30 oil.

The first thing we did was drain the fluid out of the transmission and remove the old filter. I don't know when the last time it was changed, but it was definitely due. We put the new filter on, and filled her back up. The engine oil actually looked really good, So I have not done that yet.

We flipped the 48"deck over and I can honestly say that I now know what 30 year old mower blades look like that have never been sharpened. You wouldn't so much cut the grass as beat it into submission. So, we sharpened the blades, greased the spindles, pulled some bailing twine out of one of them, and put the deck on.

My friend mowed the grass with this machine for his entire youth, so I think he enjoyed seeing it go again. We cut with it for about 45 minutes. The transmission seems strong. No slipping and no loss of power or speed. The engine runs very well. It sputtered a bit when hitting small bumps, so the float may be due for a replacement, and the carburetor has probably never been rebuilt. I did check the plug and the points last night and made a small adjustment on both.

The engine oil leaking seemed to come from the fuel pump gasket (at least that is one spot that I could confirm). I removed it, cleaned up the seating surfaces and applied some gasket sealant. We'll see if that addresses the issue. There was 30+ years of oil, grease, grass clippings and who knows what else on almost every square inch of the tractor, so it is going to take me some time just to get it clean enough to figure out where the leaks are.

I'm sure I will have some additional questions going forward, but I will post those in a new thread.

Again guys, thanks so much for your help and insight on this tractor.

Jim