Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

DIY Wheel Weights

Stigian

Evening/afternoon all :P

It feels like a lifetime ago that i last had something to write about :o

So sorry to all of you who have missed my ramblings of a Wheel Horsey nature, Betsie the pick-up has been taking a fair chunk of my time up of late, that and the waiting for parts to turn up for my 4x4 project, and waiting for the Raider 10 engine parts to turn up, has kept me from doing anything Wheel Horsey much to my shame :D

Anyway, as you might have noticed (have noticed as your reading this :D ) ive been building rear wheel weights for my trusty 312-8, and thus have something to post

at last B)

Right, enough waffling on, time for the build :P:D

A good starting point for the weights was the duel wheel adaptors, otherwise know as a bent bit of stainless with a couple of bolts :thumbs:

100_2787.jpg

Just in case your wondering why im building wheel weights on the inside of the wheel, its because the wheel in question is the out side one of the duels.

Yep im building duel wheel weights :D

Time to add some side :D

A circle-ish was cut from some old computer case (ok its not the strongest of steel but its all i have in my shocking low stock of useful steel) and plonked onto the rim.

100_2788.jpg

Bung the outer ring in place at tack weld the bits together.

It was at this point i really wished i had a spare rim to use, but luckily i didnt manage to weld anything to the rim, it must of been the fresh-ish silver paint that stopped the welds sticking :o

100_2789.jpg

After getting the wheel safely out the way, i had to knock up a small valve cover bit, you might have noticed where the valve is in pic 2.

100_2790.jpg

Jumping ahead here a bit, (mostly because i was having too much fun to take pics)

another computer side cover was quickly cut up to make the other side of the wheel weight. but only tacked in place so i could drill 4 holes in the right places.

Some bits of tube were swiftly cut up and welded in place, but only welded on the valve side of things.

Hope your following this ok :thumbs:

This side is the tack welded and soon to be cracked open side :D

100_2794.jpg

Its weight adding time :P

100_2795.jpg

The stone/sand/cement mix was put in dry, the idea being all the moisture in the damps stones will set the mix solid without have to add water and wait for it to set before welding. Just for good measure im leaving the wheel weight out in the cold for a few days, the condensation forming inside should help to dampen the mix a bit.

A fine mix was used to get things level.

hhmmm bit like making sand castles on your work bench :)

Lots of welding and careful grinding later it was ready for the scales B)

100_2812.jpg

27.980 lbs or 12.690 kgs if you think in metric.

Im not sure how heavy it is in the wheel weight scale of things, but it feels very heavy and a couple of these heavy beauties should help with traction once bolted in place :o

To finish it off, it got a couple of coats of rattle can silver.

One wheel weight down, one to go :o

100_2815.jpg

And just to finish this post off, you didnt really think id make it through a whole post without a :P somewhere did you? :D:P :D

CasualObserver

Nice job! those look like a professional sort of job. and 28 lbs is a good weight in my book... lots of the cast ones you see are only 25 lbs... except for the big multi-step ones that fit down inside the rim and are 50 lbs each. Two :thumbs: :thumbs:

Greg B.

Good job, Ian! Eminently practical, cheap (my favorite price) and not half-bad looking. :thumbs:

Greg B.

jrfan882008

looks great made my own to took old rim used it as a mold poured them out of lead my back ones are 56 lbs. each front are 23 each

T-Mo

Ian,

As usual, another great read (and it don't hurt to have another excellent and awesome project). 28 lbs is a good size weight. Thanks, again, for the excellent excerpt :thumbs: :thumbs:

mikewilliams68

JRFAN, how did you plug the bolt holes and outside holes in the rim when you poured the lead inside? I have thought about that and never been quite able to figure it out.

Mike interested in N.D.

69DEZ

Kodo's