Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

New Roll Around Tractor Stand/Bench

Polaris2007

I was talking with my brother in law the other day about working on garden tractors. After seeing me work on my Wheel Horses in my shop, he has taken an interest in restoring a garden tractor also. This is great news. He did some bartering and ended up with a mid '80's John Deere 316 that he is going to restore. It's green instead of red (like it should be), but the way I see it, it will get him hooked on a a great hobby AND leave the red tractors for me :) . Anyway, right off the bat, he says, "I think we need to build a roll around bench to get these tractors up where we can work on them without killing our backs." I told him that that was the best idea I had heard in a long time, and promptly built myself one. It has heavy duty casters so it will roll around the shop. I use my overhead hoist to lift the tractors onto the bench. I also built a "lip" all the way around the perimeter to keep tools and parts from rolling off. Here are some pics:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1283014133.jpg

Polaris2007

a second shot...

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1283014194.jpg

bustedglass

Great idea. Super looking bench :) .

Pollack Pete

Great idea for a work stand.Also great idea to get your brother-in-law into the lawn tractor hobby.think I'll build one this winter.Any measurements??

ducky

here is a pic of the work table i built.

wheelhorsepic018-1.jpg

i use ramps to put the tractor's/ what else im working on up there.

Wheelin_Ypsi

Thanks for the idea. I have an old beat up oak door I can use to make one of these. I'll need a place to hang boat motors on also,and a spot for my Choremaster to work on. Ducky, how long are the ramps you use to get the tractor up there?

Mike In Ypsi

ducky

i use 2x10-8 with aluminum ends i drilled a hole in each end and in the table so the ramps dont kick out. i think i got them from tractor supply. i just wish i put bigger casters on it. ill posted the dimensions later when i go to the grange. when i get pick of some stuff.

FarmerJim

What a wonderful idea :) I've come to the house more than one evening with a backache from stooping over these horses!

wingrider

I thought of one improvement that might be helpful. While making the top for the bench I used a 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood to cover it but I cut it in 3 pieces so I could pull the middle one out once the tractor was sitting in the right spot, and work under the deck to maybe clean or sharpen the blades, it works great.

just my 2 cents worth

Wingrider