Sign in to follow this  
Wheelin_Ypsi

Question on tractor tire care

Wheelin_Ypsi

I have two Wheel Horses, Snapper Rider and Choremaster that all show dry cracks on the sidewalls of the tires. Any recommendations on what to clean and coat them with to keep them from getting worse. I though of belt dressing in a spray can, but just not sure. Would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks.

Mike in Ypsi

JimD

I've heard from some reliable sources that Miller Tire Black tire paint works very well. You can find it on ebay. I'll pm you a link.

Audioshot

These smaller tires are mostly natural organic rubber (like a pencil eraser) as opposed to the tires on your car that are mostly synthetics and polymer. Depending on your environment, there is not much you can do except "exercise" the tires often. When machines are parked for months at a time, the decay process kicks into high gear. Tires are a perishable item like a food product. These industrial and AG tires are not controlled by the DOT so the quality control will vary from plant to plant.

As JIMD stated, tire paint is a good option. It may not protect from decay but it stays and looks better than some of these tire shine stuff. We use it in the retread plants for truck tires.

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh::):) I use leather treatment to keep it pliable. keep them out of the sun. if not using them lay them flat put some amoral on let it soak for a week,do both sides. This helps. Gary B..................

MikesRJ

... lay them flat put some amoral on let it soak in for a week ...

Don't want to know what kind of "amoral" acts are going on with YOUR tires! :USA:

Maybe you meant "Armor All"? :)

Butch

These smaller tires are mostly natural organic rubber (like a pencil eraser) as opposed to the tires on your car that are mostly synthetics and polymer.

Learn something new everyday!! :) I thought they were all the same material.

Audioshot

These smaller tires are mostly natural organic rubber (like a pencil eraser) as opposed to the tires on your car that are mostly synthetics and polymer.

Learn something new everyday!! :) I thought they were all the same material.

Yeah, I work in tire quality control and deal with failures on a daily basis from passenger to earthmover tires. The car tires today are thinner, lighter and expected to last 50k miles while still dissipating heat and holding the weight of the vehicle with outrageous speed ratings. They really are a marvel of engineering.

Be careful of that Armor-all stuff. Michelin and Goodyear have been voiding warranties because of it.

TT

Be careful of that Armor-all stuff. Michelin and Goodyear have been voiding warranties because of it.

:)

I was told many years ago not to use it on tires.

It sounds like the water-based dressings (vs. solvent-based) are the safest way to go these days.

I don't even do this myself, but proper long-term storage should also consist of removing the weight from the tires (meaning: support the vehicle on blocks or jack stands) and deflate the tires to minimize cracking and flat spots. They should also be kept out of direct sunlight - or at least covered.

Retired Wrencher

:)

I was told many years ago not to use it on tires.

It sounds like the water-based dressings (vs. solvent-based) are the safest way to go these days.

I don't even do this myself, but proper long-term storage should also consist of removing the weight from the tires (meaning: support the vehicle on blocks or jack stands) and deflate the tires to minimize cracking and flat spots. They should also be kept out of direct sunlight - or at least covered.

:wh::):):omg::omg::USA: What I meant is if your tiers are in OK shape this seems to help I have had good luck with in the past. Gary B....The C141 I just posted I did this and there is no leaks it keep it playable.

Wheelin_Ypsi

Thanks everyone. I keep the tractors inside all year, and in the part of the garage that gets no sunlight on them. I will look into the tire paint and jacking them off the floor during the winter. Along with my Desoto, I'll do the tractors. I hope I have enough jacks and blocking to do them all. :)

Mike in Ypsi

linen beige

:):):USA::wh:

Not only will the tire makers not cover their products if they find this stuff on them, at least one MAJOR auto maker has been voiding warranties on their interior parts for years if this stuff is used on them.

Ojonesy

We see this all day long.

No repair or fix for this situation.

The tire casing is failing and will eventually leak and possibly explode.

The tire is junk and should be replaced.

I turn away this business if a customer wants to "tube it".

Not worth losing a finger.

Those little tires are pretty powerful when they explode.

Brian

My Webpage

Pollack Pete

I've found that the best tire preservative is to keep them clean.I'm not sure what's worse for the tires.....dried grass or dried mud.It seems both suck the natural oils out of the rubber.I have a 1968 Bolens.....sorry for talking dirty....with the original tires on it.They're like new.Not a single crack.I've always kept the tires clean.Also the tractor has never been left outdoors.

MRM

A Old timer told me to use a mixture of mineral oil and mineral sprits on the old tires to keep them from drying out. Think it was a two to one mix.

Audioshot

@ Pollack Pete: Yes, keeping them CLEAN is correct. Soap and water is all you need. Goodyear sent Caterpillar a memo on this.

Tires are a chemical product and when you add chemicals to them , they react in all different ways. Compounds are constantly changing between manufacturers many times a year. Even tires on oil tankers at the fuel terminals turn into a gooey styrofoam if exposed to petroleum too long. Tractor tires (agricultural) are used in a dusty environment and dust will work it's way into microscopic voids as the tires are flexing breaking down and eventually degrading the structure. Any tire shine or aftermarket sidewall additive will hold the dust to the sidewall. There is a million dollar industry that feeds off of peoples paranoia by selling them products that are not needed. I'd just run the tires out until you have to replace them. They are not that much money.

Chris

kpinnc

Just another point that hasn't been mentioned:

NEVER leave tires parked on bare ground. Loaded or not, park your tractors either on concrete or blocks of wood or something to keep the tires from being in contact with the ground for long periods (days mind you) in the same spot- because this will cause the tires to dry rot in the area of constant contact.

Good luck!

Kevin

dodge78

I have read, for keeping the weatherstipping soft on high end cars, they were using glycerine to put the oils back into the rubber. Put some in a bowl and warm it in the microwave to get it warm, apply and wait a few minutes, then wipe it off. I dont remembers what they were using on tires. I will see if I can find and reread the article.

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh::) boy did we start some thing here. I have used Amoral for years on the boat seats on my original 1992 truck or anything else that need to keep it soft and pliable. I have always had good luck with this product. This is only one mans opinion>>>>Gary B.............

Audioshot

It's all good information on this forum. I learned more stuff on this forum from different paints and adhesives to properly maintaining my Kohler engine than anywhere else on the web. Truly passionate enthusiasts on here. :) :USA:

Duff

Has anybody tried liquid silicone? An old timer clued me into this stuff a few years ago and it seems to be working. Anyone else? :USA:

Duff :)

stevebo

I heard the mineral spirits/mineral oil mix is good. When I store my boat for the winter I get the trailer up on blocks to take the weight off them.

Darkminion_17

All this talk about this is getting me tired, :) I have had two tires explode on me,one I actually heard a ripping sound then BOOM,the other blew up when I was putting air in it after 10 years sitting in the same spot.Lots of good info Guys.