Sign in to follow this  
Curmudgeon

Shipping via freight

Curmudgeon

So ladies and gentlemen. Seems I've got a nice Kohler, cast iron, twin lined up. Only it's 5 hours away, and quite honestly, I don't feel like investing 10 hours and a $100 in gas to go get it, though that was my original intent.

I've never shipped via freight, neither has the individual I'm getting it from, and we are at a bit of a loss as to how to go about it.

From what I've found online, Alvan will haul it for considerably less than UPS, which is less than FedEx. I'm just guessing a 200 pound package weight.

Any suggestions? Things to know? And before Greyhound comes up, I have no idea where there is a Greyhound terminal around here, besides, I'm either going to have it shipped to where I work, so I can forklift it into my pickup, or have it delivered to my local Wheel Horse dealer if they'll work with me on it. One thing I know for sure, business delivery is a lot cheaper than residential, so that's a given.

Dale, wondering in Michigan

kj4kicks

Hi Dale, If you can get him to strap it on a pallet, Fed-Ex Freight is pretty reasonable. If not, try cratersandfreighters dot com . They will palletize it, and take care of the shipping, though they do charge a little more.

Otherwise, maybe find a member close by, and hook up with them at one of the meets.

Where is it located?

Eldon.... on a constant road trip

Buzz

Hey Dale, have you checked with DHL? Heard a guy talking about shipping a mower deck and he said they were by far the cheapest for him?

Buzz...............working the midnight shift

Curmudgeon

I'm guessing 200 pounds including pallet/shipping material.

DHL won't haul over 150 pounds.

According to their websites, UPS will haul 200 pounds freight for a lot less than FedEx. Alvan less than UPS. The biggie will be getting it crated I think, and finding a business for it to be shipped from. Residential freight gets real expensive, real fast.

It's only about a 5 hour drive from me in Indiana, but that's over a hundred dollar bill in driving expenses. Plus the 10 hours.

I'll check into craters and freighters, like I say, getting it packaged might be the biggest hurdle. I know if I was doing the crating it would be!!!!!!!

I guess my question should have been, has anyone crated an engine???? How did you do it???? Phone calls to a couple shipping companies would probably take care of the rest.

Dale, in Michigan

kj4kicks

Dale, If you can find a small pallet (or cut down a bigger one with a sawzall), simply bolt the engine to the pallet. Throw an old blanket over the top, and strap it down or shrink wrap it. Remember to drain the oil before shipping it.

Eldon.

nylyon

The other possibility is to see if there are any local trucking companies in your area. If you have a local carrier who may have the same general route they may pick up / deliver for less. Just a thought.

CasualObserver

Dale, a thought on the pallet... check with any local appliance/tv/electronics place near you, or even your local Wally world or Tar-shea`... alot of things on displays are brought in on little 2' x 2' pallets... no need to go for a full 4' x 4' if you don't need to ... might save some on the cost too.