Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

One WH just isn't enough :)

mattd860

I bought my first WH about a month ago. I thought it was a C-120 but it ended up being a C-81 with K301s (C-120) motor and the motor needs to be rebuilt. Oh well - lesson learned and it's still a great machine.

Since that purchase I've been a complete addict and boasting about my addiction at work. One of my co-workers overheard me talking about my new wheel horse and told me he too has a 1987 WH 418-8 that he bought brand new with a plow and a deck. He also said he never used the plow and that I can have it for FREE!!! When I went to go get the plow, he ended up giving me the tractor, wheel weights, chains, and even a non-WH dump cart!!!!

So I now have a free 418-8 with fully working Electric Lift that has been sitting for a while but sheltered. It needs a good bath and it also looks like some mice built a nest throughout various cavities of the machine but it runs 'ok-ish'. It can probably use a good tune up because the engine surges especially when in 4th gear.

I'm having trouble with the plow because I can't seem to get the tilt lever functioning. As you can see in the pictures, the tilt release cable-lever is backward. The handle should be facing the front of the tractor and the cable should be running along the inside of the lever, not the outside. However, as the plow presently sits on the tractor, the tilt lever cannot be pulled back any further because it's hitting the foot rest. The lever is presently in the middle position so I believe it will need to be pulled back to tilt the blade to the left. The model number on the blade is 79350 - is this compatible with an 87 418-8? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Pics:

P1030052.jpg

P1030059.jpg

JimD

Matt, if you turn the lever around as you stated, it will pull back into the recessed area of the foot rest, giving you more movement and allowing the plow to swivel. The offset will be toward the frame instead of away from it.

SAM58

Poor Tractor is suffering from an identity crisis....

The problem is the John Deer Wheel Weights, anything green will cause a Wheelhorse to do strange things...

Ha! Just Kidding! :USA:

I do not have experence with the blade, although I am needing one for my 416-8.

I am sure there are many on this forum that can help.

Great find. :)

mattd860

lol - the weights are definitely an eye-sore and will probably get painted black if not sold.

If I turn the lever so the offset is closer to the frame, It might give me about 2 more inches of travel toward the rear of the tractor. Will that be enough distance to swivel the blade? Also, wouldn't that cause the lever to hit the PTO pulley If I push the lever forward? I wish I can just go test the lever now but I'm at work 30 minutes from home :) and the curiosity is killing me.

mattd860

Gave the old girl a good bath and fixed the snow plow swivel lever.

P1030073.jpg

P1030076.jpg

I think the tractor model and serial # is here (under the seat pan). Is there any way to clean this up so the model # is readable??

P1030077.jpg

wallfish

31-18K801 = 1987 418-8

mattd860

You got that just by looking at the picture!?!?!? just kidding :USA:

I already knew that model # but I just want to make it visible on the tractor again in case anyone else wants to see it. Thanks though! :)

Roger from southern Iowa

You are living right!!

"It does pay to talk about our tractors. :) Several have came to me that way.

stevebo

That may be a 417-8?? Nice pick up..

mattd860

The engine tin says 18hp - M18QS.

Why do you suspect it's a 417-8?

Redbird

Hey Matt! What a great gift you got!!!!!!!!

There really ARE good people out there.

After reading you post title.... I had to laugh, as, I always tell all the newbies....

"I hope you have a lot of room and an understanding wife/girlfriend, because, 1-2

will NEVER be enough" :)

Currently my husband has 30 and I have 6 and I'm hunting for a decent C-195.

Enjoy your new find.

Birdie :USA:

dgoyette

SWEET :) ! Looks like a great tractor. Cleans up nice and can't beat the price.

Congrats on the addition Matt.

mattd860

Hey Matt! What a great gift you got!!!!!!!!

There really ARE good people out there.

After reading you post title.... I had to laugh, as, I always tell all the newbies....

"I hope you have a lot of room and an understanding wife/girlfriend, because, 1-2

will NEVER be enough" :)

Currently my husband has 30 and I have 6 and I'm hunting for a decent C-195.

Enjoy your new find.

Birdie :USA:

My wife is very understanding. I just tell her I need this stuff so I can make her a nice vegetable garden... LOL

TT

I think the tractor model and serial # is here (under the seat pan). Is there any way to clean this up so the model # is readable??

The paper tag with the printed numbers is actually under a clear protective sticker, so you can try something like a little toothpaste or even an eraser for a lead pencil to clean it off.

tgranthamfd

The paper tag with the printed numbers is actually under a clear protective sticker, so you can try something like a little toothpaste or even an eraser for a lead pencil to clean it off.

Did TT's trick work out? inquiring minds want to know. :)

mattd860

Did TT's trick work out? inquiring minds want to know. :)

As soon as I get a chance to try this method I'll let you all know.

TT

Note: That will only work for cleaning the outside surface of the sticker. (possibly)

If the dirt/discoloration/mold is between the overlay sticker and the number tag, you'll have to warm it up and try to peel it off. I'm not sure how to go about cleaning the number tag (and saving the printing) if you can separate it from the overlay sticker.

mattd860

Why they did away with metal imprint tags is beyond me.

KC9KAS

Metal tags $$$!!

Ken B

Very nice tractor ya got there. Us CT. guys have all the luck! (or so I have heard)

mattd860

Metal tags $$$!!

LOL - I'd pay the extra cash (like 20 bucks???) for a metal tag. I don't think raising the retail price by 20+ dollars would have priced any Wheel Horse tractor out of the market.

Tankman

Matt, if you turn the lever around as you stated, it will pull back into the recessed area of the foot rest, giving you more movement and allowing the plow to swivel. The offset will be toward the frame instead of away from it.

The "squeeze lever" to unlock the blade is on backwards. The "squeeze lever" should face the front of the Horse.

The offset out from the frame on my 414-8 allows the lever to miss the muffler.

I might add, I used the vertical flatbar from another dozer setup. Cut and welded the offset

piece of flatbar in place, about 1-1/2" offset.

As pictured except for the "squeeze lever" my snow dozer works fine; misses the muffler ~ angle left.

Angle right, the "notch" clears the cylindrical cast horizontal portion of the brake pedal.

JackC

That is a great tractor. You just need to get that John Deere stuff off that horse as soon as possible. That is a NO-NO.

Trade them for some real Wheel Horse weights.

welderman85

When we bought our new house my wife waneed to have a open house/bonfire so I asked who to invite she said the more the merrier so i figured she ment the same for tractors I made it to 11. Hi my name is Brent and im a wheelhorse addict