Sign in to follow this  
dkopp

Contest - number of mowings

dkopp

I'm curious as to how many times a year everyone mows their patch of heaven. I certainly would not win this year for the most times, but have a good chance of winning the prize for mowing the least amount of times. To keep this fair we will only count the piece of property that your house sits on.

# of mowings for me this year - 4

Kelly

Most weeks I mowed two times, a few weeks only one time, not sure what that adds up to but I know it's a lot, and I have lots more mowing left in the year.

Buzz

Just give the trophy to AZTrooper for mowing the least. Do they even have grass to mow in southern Arizona? :USA: :)

Horse'n Around

Buzz, I mowed my weeds 2 times so far but mainly I got sand blasted because there is more dirt and sand by far than weeds, by the way it took 5 or 6 minutes from start to finish both times I have mowed. I could probably mow the whole place just in the gas in the float bowl :)

We got word on a possible opening at a store in Hagerstown Md, shes putting in for a transfer for it tomorrow, Ive got my fingers crossed .

John

SAM58

After adding two new Horses, this is the first year that I wished my grass would grow faster....

mowed about every 5 days... unless weed eating counts, I have more hill side that flat land. Weed eat about twice a week to get it all done. :)

Here in Eastern Kentucky we have so much land, they had to stack it up.

:USA:

rmaynard

Here in central Maryland, I have mowed four times, and of those four, I was selective in the areas mowed. Shaded areas are left alone, sunny areas get the blade. Looks like number 5 will happen tomorrow. Had some rain this week.

Bob

VinsRJ

I think I have mowed my dirt 4 or 5 times this year. I had a killer lawn this spring but with my sandy soil and no rain.... its all shot. :)

stevasaurus

Here in north eastern Illinois, I think I have mowed at least once a week since the weeds started growing this season. There were times that I should have mowed twice in the week. :USA: I am definitely partial to moving snow around in the winter...say once or twice a week. :wh: I can't wait...Rock & Rye. :)

btrrg1969

early on I mow once a week , then as the season peters out I mow only my back yard cuz thats were the septic system is , that keeps the yard growing and the front about every 2 to 3 weeks , however I wish I could mow weekly both front and back.

tommy3horse

I have 3 acres, flat and hills. I suppose I mowed twice weekly until July, then once a week until now. The thunderstorms dump 1/2 - 1" of rain about once a week and this time of year when its really hot, I mow the zoysia yard (about an acre) twice a week, because the kids and I like to play frisbee and baseball in that part of the yard. Lots of mowing to go before I can put the deck away and hook-up the snow blade.

Tom

:)

JUSS10

i mow twice a week here in west michigan. i think i mow tonight once the sun goes down a little. now the question is do you use the same wheel horse every time? i swap mower and deck nearly every time. keeps all my round hoods running so they don't sit for to long. so that brings my total to 5 different horses mowing this season :)

dkopp

Wow, what a range of conditions out there. I don't know if we are going to count the tumbleweeds that AZTrooper cut or not... :) I didn't think that there were any horses of the red kind that far south and west. Last year I almost sank my little Murray in the soup that was my yard and this year it's hard like concrete.

C-Series14

I mow 60 times a year, my yard and my Mom's. My neighbor 2 houses down on the other hand, mows about 15 times, lets it get a foot high then scalps it down to the dirt! :) By the middle of the year, the grass on the chain link fence is so thick, you can't see the yard on the other side! :wh: Blows it up against the swimming pool so deep, you can step on it to get into the pool! :USA:

squonk

If my horses could trim my "bushes from hell" I'd be in hog heaven. 200' of mulberry that HAS TO BE TRIMMED every week. Hmmm maybe I can put the 704 in the Power King bucket :):USA: :wh:

bmuone

What I've done this year doesn't qualify as mowing. I just crank up the mower...no, crank up the tractor, leave the mower off....and run up and down the yard a few times. Sounds like I'm driving on packed snow (I think!). Actually mowed bout four times. Really dry here this summer.

Kelly

Tell you what guys if you want to mow I'll put gas in your tractor and you can mow my yard I'm tired of mowing, it's been hot as heck but just enough rain to go with the sun that my grass has not stopped growing, heck the corn around here has gotten WELL over 12' tall this year normal about 8' to 10' I've trimed my bushes about 5 times this year and normally only do it about 3 times.

linen beige

I've mowed the place where I live about every five days since early March. My neighbor mows every other day.

My other house about 70 miles away can go two weeks between mowings. Too much rain here, nowhere near enough there. Rained here this morning. Dry as a bone at the other house, yet I got rained on during most of the drive between them this evening.

jusjeepn

I been thinking how many times I've had to fill the gas cans this summer and its been

10 times. The 520H uses 7 gal. every time I mow and I fill 3, 5 gallon cans every time I fill. Now I've only filled the 4 wheeler once (3 gal), the weed eater/chainsaw has used up 2 gal this year. The Electro's (workers) have used up probably 7 gallons between them. The 654 has only been gassed up twice (2 gal). The Raider 14 has been gassed up at least twice this year (3 gal). 5 gal went in the Nissan to putt around property. Sooooooo...... If my calculations are correct.... Allowing for error and the potential that the kids used some ....I've mowed the yard just a hair over 16 times so far this year. And I have to mow again today.....

dkopp

If my horses could trim my "bushes from hell" I'd be in hog heaven. 200' of mulberry that HAS TO BE TRIMMED every week. Hmmm maybe I can put the 704 in the Power King bucket :):USA::wh:

Wow, I'd love to see a picture of that hedge. Have you ever thought about a sickle mower modded to take care of that hedge?

kloe0699

I have mowed my yard alone 26 times this season. It will be 27 as soon as the grass dries from the weekend rain we had. As dry as it was this year my grass did well. I have 2 huge willow trees in the back yard so the ground is wet around here. I left the grass/clover long this year due to the return of the cotton tailed rabbits in our area. I love to see them in the yard.. They keep my beagles awake! :) Kevin

Shuboxlover

I mow every 3 days (The acre that I irrigate anyway) The rest of my yard that's not irrigated I mow about once every 6-10 days depending on rain. My grass grows SUPER quick, and it could actually stand to be mowed every other day, but that's just getting ridiculous :) :USA:

tgranthamfd

I'd have to say a minimum of 20 times at my house, every weekend since April, maybe even the last part of march. We, also, mow at our friends horse ranch, which takes 1 horse 6 to 8 hours to mow or 3 to 4 hours with 2 horses, and it has been mowed every 2 weeks from about the same time frame. Can I count mine twice since I, sometimes, mowed the back one day and the front on Sunday? :) I, also mowed the corner lot diagonal from me for about 5 weeks so the elderly gentleman didn't have to hire it out, I don't even think he knew who was doing it.

PPGman

From the end of March up til now i mowed about once/ week. We have been having a bit of a dry spell here in PA, so the mowing has tailed off quite a bit. Starting to get some rain and some cooler night temps so i expect to be back cutting weekly again soon.

On another note, i trimed the juniper bushes a few times with the WH, and just finished the final weeding on my garden this yr........does that count? I have to say, i didn't see that head of cabbage until it was too late.......coleslaw anybody??? :)

dkopp

Just did mowing #5 last night... didn't think I'd get that many this year. I did do one other thing that I've never had to do before though, I blew the cobwebs out of the gutters and downspouts.