Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Questions on Rebuilding a Tecumseh 10hp

Polaris2007

Guys, I have a 1970 Raider 10 that has a Tecumseh 10hp engine with solid state ignition. It runs well, doesn't smoke, but it knocks like you wouldn't believe. A few questions: Are these engines worth rebuilding, or should I toss a Kohler K-series onto the Raider? It runs so well that I hate to just scrap it. Are the parts needed for a complete rebuild available? How about price? Does it cost about the same as a kohler to rebuild? I'd love to hear any and all opinions :)

racinfool40

My opinion : ihave a 1970 raider 12 that had the tecky on it ran good till i started blowing snow with it stated to smoke some then boom rod gone. Bought anther tecky rebuilt ran good mowing grass then came winter blowing snow boom another rod gone switched to a kohler and haven't had a problem since. been 2 years now with the kohler still purrs like a kitten so it's kohler 4 me!!had to do some wiring with different v. regulater and key switch! :) I'm sure others will let you know also.

rickv1957

The tecumseh is a good engine,you can find the parts to rebuild,Rick

tbbahner

I rebuilt one of these quite a few years ago. Never had any problems with it but prefer Kohler. Techs are real picky about crankshaft end play from what I understand. If not shimmed right, they'll knock. Could be the problem.

Polaris2007

Thanks for the input guys. I've had various pieces of power equipment over the years that had Tecumseh engines on them, and to be honest, for the most part, they were all pieces of crap. :) I think that in general, tecumseh engines are cheaply made, VERY finicky engines, that I have trouble keeping running correctly. :USA: I know I'm gonna take some heat for this opinoin, But I have found the quality, durability, and ease of operation of the Briggs and Kohlers to be far superior to tecumsehs. I was wondering if maybe the older ones like the 10hp on my Raider was any better than all the newer ones I've owned. But I think I'm just gonna try to sell it and find a K-series to bolt on.