Sign in to follow this  
jtmoyer

Mad

jtmoyer

called last night about a 520 in near perfect shape that was listed on CL told the guy i would be there monday night after work. it was 2 hours away. called him from the road to let him know i would be there in about 40 min, and his wife tells me they just sold it and loaded it on to a trailer. :):USA::wh:

so i have the guys address and phone number. i'm trying to be the bigger man and not post another CL add listing a tractor with his name and address. although i do feel it would make me feel better.

PlowDayJunkie

I will trade you a very good running 520 no deck for your 417-8

I am in NY but I may be headed to WI soon

Ken B

That there would infuriate me, especially if he had your phone number. :)

btrrg1969

That there would infuriate me, especially if he had your phone number. :)

i agree :USA:

rmaynard

This is the reason I will never buy anything from Craigslist unless it is local, I can drive a short distance to see it, have cash in hand, and be prepared to take it with me.

It is unfortunate that the world we live in today is full of liars, cheats, frauds, and scam artists, and that's just our elected officials in Washington.

Seems they are all over Craigslist now too.

Bob

Operator

There are always a few rotten apples in every bunch and you do have to use caution. I found a D-tiller in In. by Bloomington I was the first to respond to the add and he gave me one day to commit to buy, I told him more than likely I'll take it. Gave him a call gave him my cell no. told him I'd be down in two weeks. Very nice guy we had lunch at a Cracker Barrell loaded up and headed home 640 miles one way!

All the way down I kept asking myself "what if he doesn't show?"

Good deal on my part. But not everyone is a fair dealer.

Randy

DMK855

Part of me understands selling it to the first there with cash, as I have heard too many times that "I will be there.............." line. But on the other hand to not have the common courtesy to call someone that inquired first is just wrong. :USA:

I was raised on the belief that a man is only as good as his word, and a hand shake sealed a deal!! Seems those days are over for some!!!!! :)

herbinohio

Feel your pain brother. Just went through a very similar incident earlier this year. I vented my frustration here as well. As its already been stated in this post. "A man is only as good as his word" Better Days must Be Ahead !

bmuone

I know how that mad that makes you feel. You will feel no better with retaliation. There will be another tractor. We gotta keep our blood pressure down here.

JUSS10

been there too. had a thread a few weeks back about it. it really drives me crazy when people can't stand to their word. its sad to see and hear about this. its tough to find honest people these days and i suppose craigslist isn't making that any easier. its free and anyone can use it. it bothered me for a few days but i just knew that by keeping my cool it showed that i am the better man.

VinsRJ

I would be pist too... but retaliation puts you in the same catagory as the guy who stiffed you. Plus it would be just the luck that some idiot would use the info you posted on CL in a not so mature manor. Then it all comes back to you. Your doing the the right thing by letting it go :)

FarmerJim

Sure is getting to be a crazy mixed up world!

When I was a kid I was taught a man was only as good as his word and personally experienced deals made on a mans word and a handshake. When my kids were little I took great pains not to promise them things.Always thought about how I would look to them if I couldn't keep my promise. Guess they don't teach this stuff in school, or I guess parents don't teach this stuff at home. my .02 let it go, you are the bigger man here and who knows what waits for that joker around the next bend!

W9JAB

In defense of the Jerk!

I have put many vehicles up for sale over the years.

Placed add in the local paper, and waited by the phone,

tacking calls from prospective buyers, that asked all kinds

of questions, asked for directions, (long before G.P.S.) and

never showed up or called to cancel. So in the end just

wasted a bunch of my time. When you're ready to sell

it's got to be first come!

Now one of my buddies has been using this tactic,

He set up the callers all to show up at the same time,

and lets the buyers fight it out to see who is going to

take it home, a bit unscrupulous, yes but it works.

Ken B

Totally amazing! I had called a guy about a boat last night. I was going to look at it today with full intentions of buying it, 2 hrs. away. I made plans to leave work early. I told the guy I'd call right before I leave work to let him know I'm on my way. I got off the phone with the prick about an hr ago, turns out he sold it this morning! He sounded like an older guy on the phone, turns out even with the older crowd their word isn't always good. I was going too call him when I was half way there but I thought better of that idea! :)

earlleecliffton

Totally amazing! I had called a guy about a boat last night. I was going to look at it today with full intentions of buying it, 2 hrs. away. I made plans to leave work early. I told the guy I'd call right before I leave work to let him know I'm on my way. I got off the phone with the prick about an hr ago, turns out he sold it this morning! He sounded like an older guy on the phone, turns out even with the older crowd their word isn't always good. I was going too call him when I was half way there but I thought better of that idea! :)

makes us good guys all the better. i dontthink we are all gone

truckin88

I understand both, it is why I only buy local (1 hr limit). I have sold a lot of tractors and have had at least 20 people, over the past 2 years tell me they would be there, then never show up or call and cancel last minute. I even had one lady come, test drive it, say she wanted it, but needed it delivered we agreed to the price, I canceled with others and took it off ebay. She calls me right before I was putting it on the trailer to deliver, to cancel. So I am a first with cash guy....unless it is RS....and if someone wants it delivered, I take a deposit now. What I do though, is space people out, either by hours or days, and give first caller the chance, but if they do not show up when they are suppose to, not my problem. The bad apples ruin it for the rest.

Operator

That is a nice looking tractor though :)

Just one phone call :USA:

Randy

dkopp

You should have showed up at the guys door and flashed your cash plus tell him you would have gone another 100 to keep the deal between you and him. That would have him kicking his own rear end over the deal.

wh500special

Sucks that you got hosed on that one...it looks pretty nice. Bigtime bummer.

I am in no way sticking up for the seller here, so please don't interpret that way:

It may not work for everybody, but if you're willing to absorb some risk...when I find a deal that I don't think is going to last I contact the seller and make arrangement to pay in full before I even go see the tractor. Or at a minimum find out what an acceptable deposit might be. PayPal works great for this, but I've mailed money orders too. If you're in this nonsense long enough you've seen enough things change hands that you probably know by gut whether a deal is a good one or not. Be ready to jump quickly and consider putting your money where your mouth is. One thing that often screws up a speedy deal is asking for too many pictures, additional details, etc.

I am careful not to lay out more $$$ than I can afford to lose in case I get the shaft, but have found to most sellers that getting the money immediately locks me in at their price, eliminates sniping, and just makes the whole transaction smoother. And I do everything I can to not back out of the deal later so I don't have to ask for a refund. And, of course, you can't expect to renegotiate the deal later. Tradeoffs I guess.

I've tried to sell things too on CL only to be stood up by "serious" inquiries. A bird in the hand can be worth two in the bush. When I sold a JD 110 patio I was really impressed when the buyer used my very system...he had money on the way to me after his first "I want it" email (granted, it was an extremely rare piece since it might have been the very first Patio).

Your mileage may vary.

Steve