Sign in to follow this  
faster

Southern wheel horses

faster

If you live in the south theres not much to choose from. These two have been on Crigslist for sometime now. The first GT-14 the owner told me you get what you see and it did have a mower deck somewhere and ran great 5 years ago. Just $500.00 always wanted a GT-14 but it does look rough.

The next one is a 607 with mower all og running and cutting for $300.00 didn`t talk to the owner yet.

Anyway here in the south it`s hard to fine a good horse let me know what you think. :)

GT-14

3n73m43l65Y55T25W0a7ca8600ddc3c141452.jpg

3k63mf3l55T25W15X0a7c7d8c87abf4bf17f4.jpg

The 607

3n03md3pf5O15W15U1a81818bad623bb41c6b.jpg

3n53pc3lb5Q05U45P5a818a8b5a78f17812c8.jpg

C-Series14

Maybe put in your sig where in the south you are...some of us are curious where folks are from. :)

Brrly1

Make him an offer. I wouldn't go a whole lot over 250. Although it does look like it has a three point. Also has the electric clutch. From the pictures looks a little rough. pprobably need to get a battery and see if you can get it running wouldn't pay that kind of money without knowing that. Good Luck See Ya, Bye

Burly :)

:USA:

btrrg1969

He's right , down here there aint much to chose from,I drove more than 2 hrs one way to get my horse. I hate to say it but John Deere and Cub's seem to be the flavor of the south and dang'd if I know why. :) After getting a horse and seeing how they are built and how easy they are to work on , if something happens , I dont understand how come they aint more down here.

btrrg1969

oh i almost forgot Nashville ,TN

faster

I`m from ga. and both are on crigslist here in Atlanta. Not that I need another tractor but always looking.

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh::) Patience is always the key. Gary B....

DMK855

Faster, I know the feeling on the Wheel Horse search here in the Atl. area. They are few and far between!! I have only bought one of my eight here. The rest came from Pennsylvania and Delaware!!!

Nice knowing that there is another :) guy in the ATL!!!

rickv1957

Never hurts to look,as you might find a gem!, :) Rick

jpmcleod

I live in Florida and there are very hard to find here. When you do they are all rusty from the night dew. I have found a few that were covered up by the owner but needed a lot of work. Anyway, I now have 6 and always looking for another.

Welcome to Red Square. It's a grat site.

rj35hunter

I'm from Ringgold, Ga north of Atlanta and 12 out of 16 came from above Kentucky. The other 4 came from Ga, SC, and FL. I have drove a lot of miles for these round hoods! :) But, I enjoy every minute of it. :USA:

Clay

In my searches, its always been OH, and IN that seem to have the best pickings (w/o all the rotting sheetmetal) and for the right price. That's what I consider to be wheel horse mecca. So, once in a while, you might find it worthwhile to make a pilgrimage. If you enjoy road trips you could consider it a vacation. Just be careful who you are dealing with and try to cover your bases before you risk getting screwed by a wheel horse creep. Also, this might sound dumb but if you are poking around on CL try searching both on "wheel horse" and "wheelhorse" in your area. That will give you a broader scan of the local listings - works for me. I once found a good condition 16hp- automatic for $200 that way. It's a fun hobby. Driving is okay, once in a while. You'll meet cool people (and some dorks too :) ). Keep looking...

danno676

I'm a little further north (eastern VA) and there are slim pickins here. Without driving 2 or more hours you don't find a heck of a lot and the prices are way out of line. I will say that I have bought anything I could find within an hour of me....and I only have 3 :)

VCW39

I'm from Wilkes County, Ga. Bought my Wheel Horse back in 76 and still use it to cut grass every week or as needed. It is a 1974 B100 Automatic. Also got an extra deck, the 2 piece cultivator, and the 36 inch tiller. Mine is stored in a building when not in use except for one time when I was trying to get the axle seals replaced and took it to the wrong repair place. Ended up sitting outside for about 6 months until I found a reputable Wheel Horse repair shop nearby.

There were dealers in many cities in GA, but now they are hard to find and most don't have parts except on order.

I am presently trying to find a replacement for the transmission pulley and a steering wheel. Part #s 103043 and 102715.

The other replaceable parts like blades, pulleys, spindles, and belts are available from a hardware dealer here.

3406pack

In Upstate SC the pickins are slim also. The only way I found my C-195 was looking for a k301 for a cub I was working on. The only thing I could see was the 3-point sticking out of the honeysuckles. I did see I think a d180 in ATL a couple days ago on CL. A Few are in NC tho, I just dont have the funds to gettem and I need to work on what I got anyway.

linen beige

havin' trouble findin' these critters in the south? Try searchin' fer "Wheel Hawse". :)

Except for my 400, which my Dad bought in Lexington, Ky. in 1960, mine came from In., Il., and Oh. All but my D-160 that is. It came from Tn.

WHRNaddict

Here in Blue Ridge GA there's not much to pick from, except from Clay in Ringold GA and i can kick the tire's first. Thank's Clay for getting me addicted

Mark

wheel horse man

in the south they are hard to come buy but were i live i have 5 wheel horses and i got them within 20miles away in zanesville OH

junkman

I live in Brunswick, GA my only luck has been the junk yard. I hawe three Wheelhorses and all of whish i have saved from the shredder :USA: but they are safe now :)

Pirate

I agree. I'm in SW FL (Englewood) and don't see much for sale.

I jumped on mine when I saw it for sale. 1987 414-8, with trailer. Both in nice shape. $500.

I just looked at a 1983 what the owner said was a GT 1647

It had a 16hp Briggs twin and 8 speed. Snow plow, and tiller. Asking $600

The tractor looked rough (muffler hanging off) and the tiller was only about 20" wide. Missing outside tines?

I did buy the plow, with rear mount, and a nice welded up, trailer hitch, for $75.

He said the engine ran like a champ. I didn't even ask to start it as I didn't want another 8 speed.

Good luck with the search.

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: Hey Pirate that is where my parents live down there off of 776 next to the Shell station just before Wally World!!!! I should be down there for Xmas so I will let me know we can hook up a talk tractors over a cold one T/Care Gary B....

salty57

I live in Jacksonville,Fl. I have seven and all but one came from Indiana, Ohio, and Conn. RJ-58, 60 Suburban 400, 68 Charger 9, 3- 71 800 Specials, 73 12-8 speed. I have a neighbor who has a two year old Cub Cadet who is bugging me to buy one of my horses because they mow better and faster than his. Got to love them!