Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Snow Plow (LOADED) Question

KC9KAS

Assuming (yeah, I know) that 2 tractors are identical, EXCEPT 1 is an automatic, and the other a straight shift, which one would plow snow better?

TT

I personally prefer the hydro - and not necessarily because of hydraulic lift. (since a few of mine were manual lift)

The infinite speed adjustment, the ability to change direction almost instantly (like when you get stuck and you're trying to "rock" the tractor free :) ) and the fact that you aren't constantly dealing with a clutch pedal are a few perks.

Some guys complain about the "extra" warm up time for a hydro vs. a gear drive, but they seem to forget that there's heavier oil in a manual and the engine still has cold oil in it no matter what tranz is behind it.

rmaynard

I have never plowed with a hydro, so my experience is limited to gear drive, clutch and all that stuff. I have been plowing snow every winter since 1993 with my B-100 8-Speed. I never have to let it warm up, even if it's been sitting out in zero degree weather. Rocking has never been a problem either (I rarely get stuck :USA: ).

I'm not saying that a hydro wouldn't be easier, but for me, I put it in 3rd gear high and let her go. Just wish I had 3rd gear in reverse and a hydro lift. :)

Bob

TT

I never have to let it warm up, even if it's been sitting out in zero degree weather.

But you are supposed to. :):USA:

Of course I was factoring my location and everything I have to clear when it snows.

The folks that are lucky enough to have level paved driveways, "store bought" sidewalks, etc. definitely have an advantage over those with long, drifting lanes and hills you can barely walk up in the summer.

I have plowed snow with a 416-8 and a 416-H (both Onan-powered) and will take the hydro over the gear drive every time - and that goes for blowing and mowing too.

rmaynard

I have plowed snow with a 416-8 and a 416-H (both Onan-powered) and will take the hydro over the gear drive every time - and that goes for blowing and mowing too.

Like I said, I've never had the pleasure of using a hydro to plow snow, although if you'd like to run one of those hydro horses of yours down here for the winter, I will be happy to board 'er in my stable. :)

Bob

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh::) I restored a C141 hydro last year new engine runs like a clock. the Auto`s are nice, I do a lot of driveways for people in the area 80+ years,so they can not do it. I like the option of the lift,because of landscaping that I have keeps every there or where it belongs. also u do not have to shift set the speed u want and off u go for hours... T/Care think summer please... Gary B... PS>>>will post picks if u want them = I have to dig out of the corner it is been sitting in since spring. I will be using it more next summer I have a 10x6 enclosed trailer and I would like to hook a drag set up like Lane has on his 1054. so I can pull the trailer out where I park it.instead of the truck. I will also send picks when this is set up = this fall. enjoy the ride...........................................................................

Polaris2007

I agree that a hydro is EASIER, .......but I think that the 8-speed is WAY COOLER. There is just something about the "mechanical connection" between the engine and tires that makes me grin. It's the genius of the mechanical simplicity of it..... Engine spins so the belt has to spin. the belt is spinning so the transmission input shaft has to spin. The tranny input shaft is turning, so all the gears in the tranny have to turn. The axles are turning, so the tires are turning. Boiled down...if the engine is running, the tires are turning, period. I'll take the 8-speeds over the "slush buckets" anyday. :USA: :)

sorekiwi

OK, I'll disagree here... :)

I plowed small amounts of snow in Indiana (max of about 6") for 5 years with a 4 speed manual, and last year plowed Northern Ohio (Lake effect) snow with a hydro.

I found with the hydro that I ran out of hands to do everything with. My drive way is gravel, and the entrance to my driveway has some small banks on each side to contend with. I like to be able to lift the blade a little, and also swivel it "on the fly" and it seemed like I always needed another hand to control the hydro. (I will admit to getting a little confused sometimes and grabbing the wrong lever sometimes too :USA: again...)

On the manual tractor I would slip the clutch a little if I wanted to slow down a little for an instant.

I do see the merit in Terry's comment about rocking the hydo tractor when you get stuck.

I had the blower on a hydro this last winter. I think this year I will flip flop and blow with the hydro, and plow with the stick.

BTW I have never plowed with an 8 speed, but I really dont see the advantage there. I dont think I've ever needed 1st gear on a 4 speed while plowing. On the other hand low range 3rd gear could be good for blowing the big drifts.

My 2 cents, but remember I've only got 1 winter of dealing with the big snows... Others are welcome to try and change my mind :wh:

rustynut

i used my c-120 auto last winter to plow with and it has a manual lift so i just pu it down about 1/2 inch above the ground and left it... i loved useing it i never got stuck because of being able to change motion so fast.... i only got stuck once as oyu can see in my avatar... i prefer the hydro over the manual. :)

:USA:

Raider

I've plowed with both on consecutive record setting Winters. I prefer plowing with the auto with hydraulic lift for sure. Both work great but plowing can be a finess operation and I found the hydro easier working around obstacles, modulating slippage and 'throwing' a load of snow. I have a plow on a C-160 auto and blowers on a 312-8 and Raider-9 (I have plowed with the 312 and the Raider). I find the hydro much gentler on the driveway pavement also but that might be my driving.

MaineDad

I have used both over the years, and would agree the hydro is easier and faster. But, unless you know for sure that the hydro has been well cared for, you can get into some expensive problems and have no piece of mind when that big storm hits :)

To me there is something comforting about the dependability of the 8 speed...

pfrederi

I have used both over the years, and would agree the hydro is easier and faster. But, unless you know for sure that the hydro has been well cared for, you can get into some expensive problems and have no piece of mind when that big storm hits :)

To me there is something comforting about the dependability of the 8 speed...

I have to agree with Maine Dad. Hydros have advantages, faster reverse when you are plowing and infinite speed control for blowing....but the used hydro you buy may not be in great shape and getting it fixed or replacing it with another unknown quantity is a big and expensive risk. 8 speed are pretty reliable and if something goes south are relatively cheap to fix.

The warm up on hydros is also an issue. On my 418a (eaton) she has to run for 2-3 minutes before she will pick up the snow blower. Makes it impossible to get her out of the garage and fills the place with fumes...while you wait.

The Charger 12 will pick up and move outside to warmup but...the old Sundstrand had no real brakes. (except for disconnecting the hydro drive which you need to warm it up!) Got mine out to warm up went in for a sip of coffee came out and she was creeping down the driveway!!!!

rickv1957

I use both the hydros and the sticks to plow but the hydro gets my vote,Rick

TT

But I do have to say that one of the hydro foot controls would probably work really well here.

Someday (soon, I hope) I'll get one of mine installed and let you know how good it works on a Horse.

I had two Bolens tractors with the foot pedal controls and could really get some work done in a hurry! :)