Sign in to follow this  
tommybro

Starter gets hot

tommybro

Hi my neighbor has a 1960 550 that we are trying to get running.

We put a fresh battery in it and the starter cranks for a little bit then will stop and click like you have a bad selenoid ( sp?) If you try it again right after all it will do is click. The starter is hot to the touch during this time.

If you wait a little bit it will start to crank again then click after about 10 to 20 seconds cranking. I will do this both from the key switch and putting a jumper cable directly to the lead on the starter.

Does anyone have any ideas what can cause this?

Thanks in advance

piecrazy4

It sounds like bad electrical connections try cleaning all the wiring from the battery to the starter.

Kelly

Sounds like the brushes are bad and may be the com. or bad bearings?bushings making the starter work hard.

tommybro

anyone know where we can get a new / used starter or have this one rebuilt?

We tried to take it apart but the results were not as we expected them to be. :)

Gene_S

Tommy about any Starter / Motor repair shop will fix starters. You might be able to still buy a new one from Tecumsah? BUT... I'm sure some one on here knows way more about if their still avalible new or not... Good luck :)

Audioshot

Hi, There is a place in Pawtucket, RI called ACE Armature Co. All they do is rebuild and rewind all kinds of DC motors and generators. If they don't have it in stock, I'll bet the bank they can rebuild it and make it work properly. Nice people and very reasonable too.