Sign in to follow this  
Pollack Pete

WH D160

Pollack Pete

Going this afternoon to look at / buy a Wheel Horse D160.The guy says it has a 16 horse Onan twin.He also said it burns oil.How's the parts availability for Onan engines? Probably rings,bearings,gasket set,etc.Tough to work on? The only experience I have with an Onan engine is on my old Lincoln welder.Thank God I haven't needed any parts for it other than spark plugs and muffler.Also,how's a D160.........any good??Thanks for any info.

wh79d160

D series are basic scrap. There is a member, rickv , who has a D-series" hospice house" He travels the country picking them up & cares for them until their time comes. He's a saint. He will see this message. Just give him the address & he'll go get it. Thanks, Tom, Perry Ks.

wh79d160

Ok, ignore my last post. Rick probably already bought it. But just in case he didn't. D's have their issues like allthe rest. As far as the onan goes, when they are running right, they are sweet. My 79 was smoking & I took it to a guy I know who loves Onans. He mostly works on jd's. He fell in love w/my D160 & had to show it to all his friends.(not many WH around here). He said everything was in good shape just needed rings. He said the best prices & avaliability for Onan stuff is from the JD dealer. As far as the rest of the tractor, it just depends what kind of life it's had. Some of the things I've learned are the output shaft from the hydro pump to the engine is a weak point. Sometimes when thgey strip, people drill & pin them, but they still will probably eventually break. also basic leaks, seals o-ring, hoses. The rear hubs are hard to get off. Some of the earlies ones didn't have hardened pinion bolts (I think) & would break, most of he time cracking the case. I haven't had alot of these problem, just what I read. as you can see, I prefer them as it's all I have. There are also lots of opitions on the D's , rear PTO & 3-point hitch & attachments. We like pictures. Good luck Tom, Perry Ks.

rickv1957

Tom pretty well hit it on the nose,them Ds are great!! :) Rick