Sign in to follow this  
Len Haduck

slow clutch pedal

Len Haduck

Hi all,

My 2001 314-8 is running well but clutch pedal seems slow to return and engage trans. My plan is to replace drive belt and put a new return spring on. Any advice before I begin. Also, any tips to replace the drive belt?

MalMac

Sounds like your Damper (gas) is going bad. Its like the gas shock absorber like rods that hold up a hatch back or hood on a car. Its on there to keep you from letting out on the clutch too fast. If I were you I would just put a clutch return spring on it like the old C-series had. I had the samething happen on my 314-8. I replaced the damper. It cost alot of $ and I still ended up just putting a spring on insted. I can see the use of a damper for safetys sake but I am the only one using the tractor.

bk-scouter

I second on what melmac just mentioned, probably the gas return spring. Just be sure that's it. It's very pricey if it's not the source of your problem. Make sure your clutch pedal in properly lubed. While your in there , it's a perfect and easy opportunity to replace the drive belt since you'll have the right belt cover and foot rest removed anyways.

-BK

Len Haduck

I planned on putting on a new belt. My 314 already has the return spring on it if I am correct. It is on the left side from the pedal linkage to the transmission. I plan on replacing it with a new one. The tractor has 425 hrs on it. Maybe double the spring with an oem and a weaker one?????? Think a new pulley also? How do you tell if it needs replaced?

thanks,

Len

btrrg1969

If its the gas spring , I paid about $60 from the toro dealer and they suck , I took mine off and just went with the clutch return spring , its smooth as glass now :)

Len Haduck

I'm not sure what the gas spring is. I was refering to clutch return spring. I have one on now and local dealer want like $7 for a new one and 36 for the belt. The gas damper is a crazy 119 though. That will be the last resort!

SAM58

MY 314-8 IS A 1998 MODEL, IT USES THE GAS CHARGED RETURN.

IT WAS BAD WHEN I BOUGHT THE TRACTOR, I PUT A CLUTCH SPRING AND FIXED MINE FOR $4.00 FROM DAVE'S TRACTOR WORLD.

I BOUGHT A CLUTCH SPRING FOR A RAIDER 12... SAME THING. :)