Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Added a 1966 856 to the stable today.

rmaynard

Now the B-100's have a new stable mate. I picked up the 856 this afternoon.

Battery is dead, and I did not have time to hot-shot it, so the charger is on over night and I will see if it starts in the morning. Here is a picture. More to follow.

b929cc41.jpg

Bob

Ken B

Looks like a nice clean machine. :thumbs:

dgoyette

Great looking horse Bob. Looks like a real nice find and look forward to the updates when you get the battery charged.

Horse'n Around

Wow thats really clean looking. I bet it runs like a champ! Congratulations!!!!!!

John

DMK855

Very nice Bob!! I must say that is my favorite style WH......... :D

Keep us updated!! :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Nice machine Bob! :thumbs:

fireman

Nice clean looking machine Bob :thumbs:

Sparky

Looks like a nice clean machine Bob.

Hmmm....I dont see the 208 in the background anywhere :D . I guess you only had room on yer trailer for one :thumbs: ?

Mike.........

Coadster32

Nice find. Looks good from my house. :thumbs:

rmaynard

Looks like a nice clean machine Bob.

Hmmm....I dont see the 208 in the background anywhere :D . I guess you only had room on yer trailer for one :thumbs: ?

Mike.........

The 208 is still sitting right where I found it. With the temps near 98 today c4d8dc84.gif, I didn't feel like loading it on the trailer. If I decide that I need it, it's only 5 minutes from my house.

Bob

876wheelhorse

looks pretty nice i have one of those and it runs great. the price i paid for it was really cheap i thought. makes me want to get mine painted up........

Suburban 550

Nice one, Bob. :thumbs:

stoneman

:thumbs: You gonna re-do that one Bob?

rmaynard

:thumbs: You gonna re-do that one Bob?

Probably will, unless someone makes me an offer on it that I can't refuse. It came with a 42" snow/dozer blade, and with winter coming, who knows?

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

VERY nice find Bob!!! :thumbs:

piecrazy4

Nice find!

rmaynard

Update! :thumbs:

Battery charged. Engine turns over. No start.

Checked spark plug. Wobbles. Oh Oh. Threads stripped. :D But the good news is that I do have gas and spark.

I guess the question now is new head or helicoil? What's the general consensus of opinion? It's a K181S - 30108D.

Got the head off without breaking any bolts.

Bob

shallowwatersailor

Looks good! I have never been a fan of helicoils for what it's worth.

John

Suburban 550

Update! :thanks:

Battery charged. Engine turns over. No start.

Checked spark plug. Wobbles. Oh Oh. Threads stripped. :wh: But the good news is that I do have gas and spark.

I guess the question now is new head or helicoil? What's the general consensus of opinion? It's a K181S - 30108D.

Got the head off without breaking any bolts.

Bob

Bob, you had to rub that in about breakin' the head bolts off. :thumbs: Wonder if you used the tools out of "Pandoras Box" to get it off. :D My personal opinion would be to get another head. :D

rmaynard

Bob, you had to rub that in about breakin' the head bolts off. :thumbs: Wonder if you used the tools out of "Pandoras Box" to get it off. :D My personal opinion would be to get another head. :D

Ray,

You bet I used Pandora's tools. What's a carpenter supposed to do? :thanks:

Hey we did the best we could that night. I'm still amazed that the drill bit broke into 3 pieces and ended up in the muffler pipe.

I think you are probably right. I am going to keep my eyes open for another head.

Thanks

Bob

rmaynard

Finally got around to fixing the head problem. Fired it up, and it runs. :) No smoke or unusual sounds. Had to keep the battery charger on it to keep it running, so I will put a new battery in it today and see if the tranny works. :USA: I've got some leakage from the axle seal on the left side, so I know that needs to be replaced.

Bob

rmaynard

Good morning in the stable. :)

I got the engine running with the help of a heli-coil for the head, new head gasket, spark plug, and fuel shut-off valve. :wh:

K-181 runs very nicely for a 44 year old engine. There is no smoke, and no sounds that would indicate valve problems or that the rod or something is about to go. The generator is charging properly.

Decided to take her for a spin, and nothing. No go forward, no go reverse. :) Then the ahha moment occurred. No woodruff key in the input pulley? Sure enough, the key was missing, and the set screw was rusted and stripped. Fortunately, the seal on the input shaft had been leaking, and the pulley slid off in my hand after the belt was removed.

I went to a yard sale this morning that advertised tools, and the guy had a whole cigar box of tungsten steel drill bits (didn't know what he was selling) for only $3.00.

I came home, got the set screw drilled out, chased the threads, inserted a new stainless steel set screw, put in a new #9 woodruff key and reattached the pulley.

The 856 runs and drives like a champ. The engine purrs, and the transmission sounds and feels strong. I am going to take it apart though. I am sure it has some water in it, and the axle seals are leaking. Feels like a little play in the needle bearings, and at only $10 apiece from NAPA, it's a no-brainer.

But overall, a very good morning with the new horse. :USA:

wheel horse 1045

that tractor would make a great addition to any collection,great find.