Sign in to follow this  
Gregg in ohio

New addition to the herd 418-A w/56 hrs

Gregg in ohio

went to the local mower shop and found a 418-A with 56 hrs on the clock and the clock works someone put a stp 3216 car oil filter ion the hydro and smoked the eaton hydro unit..asked the non toro dealer what he wanted for it and he stated the 18 hp kohler command twin was worth 500 and thats what he wanted .bought it got a eaton hydro unit from joes outdoor on ebay for 125 bucks shipped and got a damn almost new w horse..the only rust was on the shifter plate where water had set when they washed it,,musta been stored inside paint wasnt even faded and the tires werent dry rotted ,,it will need all new belts..had a 42 in deck has the front swept axle on it for the 60 in deck and hydro deck lift..just couldnt belive my eyes when i seen it ..1987 was the only year they made the 418.A.who ever had it took good care of it..nice shiney paint and bright chrome hub caps..i actaully mowed the yard with it..been broke for many yrs..had the rear attachments on the axle also..now my 68 charger 10 is jealous..i gotta quit looking in buildings for w horse tractors..gregg in ohio

JUSS10

awesome story! :thumbs:

and I'll be the first to say:

:D

Nick

Sounds like someone swapped in a 520 front axle? :thumbs:

rickv1957

:thumbs: Great find! Rick

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Very Nice!!! I'm looking forward to the pics.

Gregg in ohio

well i cant get the pic to load ..i was really impressed by the chrome air cleaner and the stainless steel exhaust cover..it might not have the swept front axle..but sure wish it had a 48 in deck..oh and i had to rebuild the spindles some doofball didnt take off the plastic sheilds and the melted on the gease side of the bearings..

i was also blown away with the front axle bearings real timkens not the junk flanged ones like on my charger 10..i didnt tell the dealer that the hobbs meter worked untill i had payed him the balance owed to hold it..i left the key on while we were loading it and it was ticking over tenths ,,he said he dint think the hobbs worked..wasnt gonna tell him untill it was payed for and loaded..he about had a cow..it was brought to him from another dealer that couldnt figure it out but the hydro filter without the anit back drain valve told me that the filter ruined the tranny cause is was starting up dry every time they run it..its just firggen beautiful..has some minor scratches on the hood from some bushes that buffed out real easy..now to find a 48 in deck ..im gonna use it ..i have a brand new snapper hydro 24hp lt100 52 in deck but it doesnt come close to the ride the whorse gives.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I use tinypic.com to post photos. It's pretty easy to use. There's also Google picasa and photobucket.