Sign in to follow this  
bkfamily1

deck for 520H

bkfamily1

I have a 520H with a 48" side discharge deck 0548MS05. The deck is in bad shape and needs replaced. I would like a mulching deck if there is one that will work on a 520H. Otherwise, I will replace it with the same deck. Suggestions?

Thanks!

rickv1957

:thumbs: Rick

bkfamily1

Thanks, Rick. Do you know if there is a mulching deck that will work with the 520H?

Bryan

TT

To my knowledge, the only deck with mulching capabilities would be a 42" rear discharge fitted with the Recycler kit. Link to the Recyler kit parts list

Although I've never owned/used one, I hear that they don't do well in anything but relatively dry grass, and ground speed must be reduced to lessen clumping.

Here is a link to the search results containing "recycler" here at RedSquare:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ghlite=recycler

(You might need to sort through a few to find the better ones.)

Last, but not least, :thumbs:

300zx

I agree, I think the only recycle kit is for the 42 inch rear discharge. Is your 520 an 88 to 89, or 90 to 97? The reason I ask is that the 90-97 have the 10.50 rear tires and the outside measurement on the tire tread is about 40 inches. The 88-89 has 9.50 rear tires and is a little narrower at about 36 inches. The narrower stance might work a little better with the 42 inch deck. I have used a mulching kit for the last 10 years on my C121-8. I did it initially to keep from windrowing grass in the middle of my mowing pass and to keep the inside of my rear wheels clean. Like any other mulcher, you can't let the grass get too high for it to work well. Also, you have to use the higher lift blades to get the mulching effect. I have heard that the gator blades work as well or better, but since I already had a rear discharge deck and wanted to close off the back, I went the muching kit route. In 2000, I think I paid $150 for the kit including the high lift blades.

bkfamily1

It is an 88 with the Onan engine. Are the recycler kits only good for rear discharge? I guess I could look for a rear discharge deck and get a recycler.

Honestly, I think I may try some Frankenstein work. The two main issues with my deck is that it has a couple of rust holes, and the baffle came loose at one end. I am thinking I may take it to the weld shop, cut out the old baffle and weld in a new one. And I may try welding in some extra baffles to enclose the blades like the recycler seems to do. I can tack them in, and if it doesn't work, I can just take the extra baffles out. I already have the gator high lift blades.

bkfamily1

and thanks for the recycler info - I appreciate the assistance