Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

Quick hydro question C-145

tgranthamfd

I thought I had read, on here, that the C 145 auto had a Eaton trans and no tow valve on it. Would this be correct. Found one and thinking about buying it. The guy got it running last year long enough to hear the engine and test the tranny and lift. It has the plastic fender deck on it with no cracks and 1 small piece broke out right in the center at the back. Comes with a 42" RD deck that has the front spindle mount re-welded in, with new spindle bearings and blades. Only wiring issue that I saw was the wire going from the key switch to the headlight switch, had been chewed up, just the insulation. Wondering what a ballpark good price might be? There are very few WH's around here and even fewer hydro's. It looks like it will clean very nicely. Opinions wanted and welcomed. Thanks Terry

P.S. I think it is a 1980, build date was 0004.

C-Series14

Got to go by the VIN number on the 1980 model. There was a Sunstrand and Eaton that year...

01-14KS01 and 01-14KE01

tgranthamfd

Fairly sure it was the E01. If it is a S01 would it have a tow valve? Which was a stronger one, the Eaton or the sundstrand?

C-Series14

I believe Eaton, not sure. Some of the Auto experts might know. As far as a tow valve on the Sunstrand, I know the older ones had one, not sure on the 1980 models.

tgranthamfd

I looked all over the underside and couldn't see anything that resembled a valve, lever, or slot screw type valve. It had the lever on the top that said raise to disengage clutch drive and push down or forward to engage. It didn't want to roll very easy but one of the rear tires was almost flat.

rickv1957

More than likely has the eaton,Rick

C-Series14

Believe the filter location is the difference. My Eatons are on the left rear....

tgranthamfd

Ok, went ahead and bought it. It is the most original one I have purchased, to date. Hope everything turns out to be in good working order. Oh, it was the 80 model with the sunstrand tranny and hydro. There are a few pictures so I put the direct link up for ya. Thanks Terry.

P.S. This is my first hydro and I may be asking a lot of questions. Here ya go.

Link didn't work, pics are below.

tgranthamfd

Forgot to tell ya, it does have a tow valve. I took a picture of it where it told me exactly where it was, and which way to turn it. :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Ok, went ahead and bought it. It is the most original one I have purchased, to date. Hope everything turns out to be in good working order. Oh, it was the 80 model with the sunstrand tranny and hydro. There are a few pictures so I put the direct link up for ya. Thanks Terry.

P.S. This is my first hydro and I may be asking a lot of questions. Here ya go.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn23/tg...ic/DSC01282.jpg

Hope it works right, haven't done it this way but 1 other time.

What did I do wrong, I wanted a direct link to the whole album? :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

OK I know how to do it this way. :thumbs:

DSC01282.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

DSC01269.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

Duff

:D Are those bullet holes in the hood????? :D

Duff :thumbs:

Wheel Horse Fan

Copy the link from the album not the picture. HEre you go:

C-145 picture album

tgranthamfd

Copy the link from the album not the picture. HEre you go:

C-145 picture album

Thanks, couldn't find the album link.

tgranthamfd

:D Are those bullet holes in the hood????? :D

Duff :thumbs:

Just noticed those, don't think they are there after I washed it up, the first pics. Soon as the mosquito's get out of attack mode I may go put a good battery in it and see if it will fire up for me.

Roger from southern Iowa

Looks to be in pretty good condition. :thumbs:

I think you did a good thing!! :D

tgranthamfd

Couldn't wait for the mosquito's to stop, put on full body armor :thumbs: and went on out. Changed out the battery and cleaned up the connections, closed the tow valve, kept it strapped down to the trailer just in case, hit the choke, throttle, key, and after a few turns it fired up. Smoked for a bit but no bad noises and the fuel is at least a year old, engine oil is full and very black, tranny oil is full, as well. Didn't know where to check the hydro fluid level at. It lifted, lowered, moved forward, and backwards. All looks to be ok, so far. Going to do some more routine stuff tomorrow and see how it drives. Needs new fuel, a fuel filter, and oil change at the very minimum. Never told you guys what it cost, gave $300 for it which is a fair price around here and the guy I bought it from was super cool, I ended up finding out both my brother and myself went to school with both of his daughters. Small world.

gwgdog66

Cool. You are going to need a bigger shed :D Now you have 4 and I only have 2. :thumbs:

I'll be down tomorrow to play I mean help check it out. : :D

tgranthamfd

Cool. You are going to need a bigger shed :thanks: Now you have 4 and I only have 2. :thumbs:

I'll be down tomorrow to play I mean help check it out. : :D

You forgot about 1. :D See ya in the morning.

tgranthamfd

Turns out the battery that was in it does hold a charge, guess it was just the crudded up connections. How much of a pain is it going to be to check / change the hydro fluid, and does it run off of motor oil or something else? Is the :thumbs: filter still available?

tgranthamfd

If I looked it up right, in the lubrication manual, it should take 10w 30 or 10w 40, in the hydro unit, now I just need to figure out how to check the level, or is it one for tranny and hydro?

dgoyette

Congrats on the C-145! The dipstick is under the seat and it is for both the tranny and the hydro components. The filter is available from Toro but also can use Napa/Wix hydraulic filter 1410/51410.

gwgdog66
Cool. You are going to need a bigger shed

tgranthamfd

Congrats on the C-145! The dipstick is under the seat and it is for both the tranny and the hydro components. The filter is available from Toro but also can use Napa/Wix hydraulic filter 1410/51410.

Thanks that is what I needed to find out.

tgranthamfd

Well I think we got her running pretty good. It would run like a champ for 15 mins. then loose it's prime at the fuel pump. We had already changed the tranny oil and filter, engine oil, and added a fuel filter. Put the 42" SD deck on it and went at it. made 2 passes, the length of my yard, and it died and wouldn't start. we primed it and pulled it into the shed, changed the gas cap and went at it again, same thing. When I filled it with fresh gas I noticed a little disk down in it. We decided it wasn't supposed to be there, so I drained the tank, pulled it, and dumped it out in a bucket. What do I find, it was the little disk that goes in the top of your gas can spout, you know when you had to put the spout down in the can, the little cap that went on either end. Said that must be the problem since the different gas caps did not effect it, right. Put it back together and the same thing. Ended up pulling the fuel pump and tyring a metal one that my brother had, and now it runs more that 15 mins. Problem was, on the plastic replacement pumps, they came with a thicker gasket to keep the engine heat from boiling the gas out of the pump, and the P.O. had a regular thickness gasket on it. This is the only thing we could figure out. Has this happened to anyone else? Took a video of the initial testing, but it is still uploading to photo bucket, I'll put it up in a few. It shows me going up and down a couple of steep hill, testing the hydro. Thanks