Sign in to follow this  
vandamja

1994 Wheel Horse 520H

vandamja

So I own a 1967 1067 Wheel Horse that has really been a great machine. I have had to do some small things to it, but hey, it's older than me.

But...the sirens call and I have a chance to pick up a mid 90's 520H. This comes with the 60" deck, a plow and a roller. Now, I don't really know the guy too well, seems pretty honest, claims that the oil has been changed regularly, and it has been used to mow about 4 acres during the season.

The tractor runs well, no smoke, no apparent problems. Looks pretty good for a 16 year old machine. It was no garage queen, but it certainly does not appear to have been abused.

The hour meter is broken.

So, if I take what he says as the truth, and figure that it would take 2.5 to 3 hours to mow 4 acres, that tractor would have around 1,000 hours on it. Give or take. He said he did try to use it for plowing, but with a long driveway, and no chains or weights, it really did not work that well.

This is available to me for about $1,000.00. It seems like almost too good of a deal to pass up, but I wanted to get a bit of input from those that have owned these tractors.

I have heard from more than one person that the Onan engine can be a problem point. What is a reasonable life expectancy from one of these engines if it has been taken care of?

And what is it like running these things. Is it too much tractor to mow 2 acres, and plow out a drive way in the winter?

Any items that I should look at hard if I go and take second look? Things that can be a tell tale for future problems?

Jim

WH nut

Buy it

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I'd say the deck, roller and plow are worth at least $400. That seems like a decent price to me if it doesn't smoke and there aren't any major engine problems. Let the hydro get warmed up to see you're not loosing speed/power. If his property is flat that's probably going to be fine.

Duff

Everything I've read on this forum over the past couple years would lead me to believe that you should go for it. If the machine has been well maintained and runs well when you go to try it out, worth the money, and the 520 is one heck of a machine!

JMHO......

Duff :thumbs:

Pettybilt

Not trying to negative, just telling you what i have read here . As far as the onan life expectancy, some will tell you that 1000 hours is getting up there. Others seem to be get way more than that out of them. I have read that some of the problems happen to the rear cylinder, however it seems to me that the belt cover restricts air coming out of the rear cylinder, so i could see why it would run hotter than the front. I personally don't have the belt cover on my 416-8. But when i find one i'm going to cut it to so it dosn't restict air flow. If you guys think i'm way off about the belt cover, please let me know

Heres a link to a question about onans.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...c=19753&hl=onan

Raider12

Not trying to negative, just telling you what i have read here . As far as the onan life expectancy, some will tell you that 1000 hours is getting up there. Others seem to be get way more than that out of them. I have read that some of the problems happen to the rear cylinder, however it seems to me that the belt cover restricts air coming out of the rear cylinder, so i could see why it would run hotter than the front. I personally don't have the belt cover on my 416-8. But when i find one i'm going to cut it to so it dosn't restict air flow. If you guys think i'm way off about the belt cover, please let me know

Heres a link to a question about onans.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...c=19753&hl=onan

I would have to agree with the air flow across the rear head. It is very important to keep the cooling fins clean and free of grass clipping etc so it does stay cool. The idea of opening up the belt guard is a good idea. I ahve seen these Onan's with over 2000 hours and run strong. I have also seen the engine with vale seat problems with 400 hours. Maintenance is the key

rickv1957

The Onans will last with proper care!,Rick

vandamja

I appreciate everyone's input.

I an see why some people would struggle with an engine like the Onan if they had an older Wheel Horse and came to expect the incredible durability of the old cast iron Kohlers. I'm sure those engines are much more forgiving of the "periodic" maintenance that many owners would give it.

And I'm sure there were a few lemons out there that were going to be problematic no matter how well they were maintained.

I guess anytime you buy something used you are taking a chance.

I just have to decide if the gamble is worth it.

Operator

I'd go for it in a heartbeat!! Deck alone is worth over $500. Put a set of chains on and plow away!

I picked up a 60" for one of my 520's - you can't beat it. Wouldn't sell it for anything. Maybe a C-195 1984 model

Randy

kpinnc

Get a compression test of the rear cylinder before you buy it, because it WILL run on just one cylinder. If it's OK, take all the engine covers off after you get her home and make sure the rear jug is free of mowing debris. That's what causes most of the problems on the back cylinder. The jug gets too hot because it's covered in grass and then the valve seats pop out.

If all checks out- just maintain it the way it should be. I know several folks who have Onans still going strong after 2500 hours.

The 520H and HC were the top-of-the-line machines from Wheel Horse. You will not be disappointed as long as she was maintained decently.

Good luck!

vandamja

Thanks for the suggestion on checking the compression. I will do that.

I do have a copy of the Onan manual, and it says that compression should be between 75-115 psi. So anything in that range ( as long as the two cylinders are even) would be considered OK?

Is the process the same for checking the compression on one of these smaller engines as it is for a car or truck engine?

Thanks again.