Sign in to follow this  
tommybro

Grinding gears on 701

tommybro

Hi, I just got a 1961 701 was able to get it started, love the sound of it after playing with my sons 6 HP tetumsch.

The problem I am having even at a very low idle when I go to put it in gear it grinds like mad. If I tuen the engine off and put it in gear it's fine with the clutch in, does not jump or want to move forward. I did mess with the rod that goes from the clutch to the back and that did not do too much.

The only thing that seems really out of wack with this is one time the belt popped off and it kind of kept it's shape after sitting so long. could that be what the problem is. I would replace the belt but would like the experts opinion before I go and buy one.

Thanks in advance

Sparky

Is the drive belt guard installed? It has tabs inside it that stop the belt from moving when the clutch is depressed. Without it the belt still spins the tranny pulley just enough to grind gears.

Mike......

wallfish

Like Sparky said, the belt is still spinning the trans pulley when you push the clutch causing the gear grinding. If you can't solve the problem, post some close up pics.

tommybro

Hi, the belt gaurd was on and off, of course the belt came off when I was messing around with the gaurd off.

What would you want close up pics of, the bar coming off the clutch, the belt and pully set up?

Thanks

wallfish

Is the belt guard cut at the motor end? Or maybe the tab is broken off? There should be small tabs on the motor end of the guard that guide the belt. The belt may not be the correct length. If you adjusted the clutch rod to far, it may not be relieving enough tension on the belt. Are the pulleys rusted or painted? New paint on the pulley groove will cause it to grab the belt. Did it ever work correctly or is this how you got it? Maybe pics of the pulley with the guard on and off and a pic of the inside of the motor end of the guard.

I would start with a new correct size belt and go from there. You really can't go wrong with a correct OEM belt in my opinon. If it solves your problem, great. If it doesn't, then you can use the old one as a backup.