Sign in to follow this  
Pettybilt

Trying to convert a John Deere owner

Pettybilt

Hey guys, i have a friend that has a John Deere the was bought from a Box store (Lowes). Guess what, it sucks, Long story short he likes my 416-8. Question is he found a 312-8 on CL for 500. Guy says it runs great, its about an hour drive. So does this sound like a fair price? Also he has about an arce to mow with a few hills, is this tractor up to the task?

The 416-8 is my first WH, so i don't know much about it. I would hate for him to buy this tractor and it stuggle with his yard, i would never hear the end of it.

Thanks, Doug

chris11

Well that JD isnt really a tractor. not the ones they sell at lowes. I think he would be happy with a wheel horse. I dont compare my 2006 craftsman with my wheel horse.

Ken B

The 312 should easily handle your friends needs. Mauybe find a set of rear weights for added traction on the hills and keep the oil full.

BRONCO14

i agree with the group, my mother had a john deere sabre Purchased from a local deere dealership,the deck rotted away- i gave her one of my c145 hydros, she loves it, when we were loading the deere we had a little fun, we physically separated the gears in the rear end by pulling is against my 68 lawn ranger, dont get me wrong deere makes a good machine- from 1990 and back

rickv1957

A 312 will do just fine!,Rick

Save Old Iron
Purchased

Pettybilt

Thanks Guys, just didn't want to lead him in the wrong direction..

Thanks, Doug

woodys3b

Since Doug question is answered and we are talking about deck maintenance and longevity, please tell me how to make my deck last a long time. I know I need to keep it clean but does that mean I need to get under it after every time I mow and scrape out the grass that gets stuck under there? I just put new blades on this weekend and while under there, I cleaned it very well. Lots of surface rust but nothing too serious. Is there something I can coat the under side of the deck with? I have seen rust converter used on car restorations. Was also thinking of spray on truck bed liner.

Duff

Woody, there are several threads on this site about deck coatings, with some pretty good ideas. For a short-term solution (although it's my own long-term one) you might try cleaning and wire brushing the udnerside of the deck then applying (clean!) bar and chain oil. Then in between mowings just rinse the underside of the deck really well with the pressure from a garden hose nozzle. I usually do this with the deck running, so be careful not get a hand under there if you do it this way, and expect to get a little wet. :D

About every three or four weeks I take the deck off, wash it really well and reapply the oil, and one final really good cleaning and oil application before I put it up for the winter. Quck, cheap and effective.

Just one man's experience...... :D

Duff :thumbs:

Pettybilt

Where i work i spray alot of epoxy paint from ICI. Its called Devran 224hs. Its really good stuff, self primming, and super tough. I plan on using it on the underside of my deck whenever i get around to restoring my tractor. Not sure if you can get it in QT though. Can be applied with a brush, roller,or sprayed if thinned

BRONCO14

i actually used to have a few deere- but found the horses and fell love, my old 318 deere was a monster loved it- i gave my 140 to my uncle- and the 70 dint make it out of the barn fire. sorry to the deere guys out there, its something with the sabre model, the mower yard i go to is full of em' she had for quit a few years to.