Sign in to follow this  
Decker

1984 c-195

Decker

First off I'd like to thank everyone for this page. I've checked it often, but only became a member about 20 minutes ago.

I have a 1984 c-195 with a 48" deck and some trouble with the blades spinning to full power. The belts are properly tightened and the fittings are all greased, but it almost seems like when I engage the PTO, it's not drawing in tight enough and the blades aren't spinning fast enough to cut the grass and basically stop in grass more than a couple inches long. It was working great a couple weeks ago and I just can't figure out what the problems is. My only though is that perhaps some of the metal parts have finally worn down enough over the years so they're not catching properly.

I'd appreciate any and all advice/input. Thanks.

rickv1957

:thumbs: Does your pto clutch need to be adjusted a bit tighter,Rick

Decker

I did try tightening the PTO clutch, but it was pretty tight to begin with and I don't dare take it too much further.

The other possibility I thought of was maybe a small tension ring or E-clip fell off the end of the PTO that I didn't know was there. I checked the original manual, but there isn't a clear enough picture where I could tell. I took a picture of the PTO, but I'm having trouble loading it. Does anyone have a c-series PTO that they could post a detailed pic? I do see a small ring, about an 1/8 of an inch, around the shaft that makes me think something use to be there and finally wore away.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

gwest_ca

You can get to the parts lists here

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Enter your 01-19KE02 model number and then open the pto page. If item 34 retaining ring is missing you are pushing item 33 pto shaft through the bearing.

When you replace the ring make sure the side with the sharp edges is facing out. If you click on the small printer icon at the top left of the illustration the page will reload to one that prints well.

I don't know what is in the manual for pto adjustment but the procedure for the 1982 models was changed. It is in a service bulletin in the Files of

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals8/

The file is named "WH61-90 #335 C-195 Service Information"

You may also be interested in

WH61-90 #323A Carb Icing C-175 Twin and C-195 Twin

WH61-90 #342 C-Series Auto Clutch Idler Rattle

Garry

Decker

An e-clip seems to work pretty well as a temporary fix until the retaining ring comes in. A little more adjustment on the clutch and she's running like a champ. Thanks Garry and Rick.

Roger from southern Iowa

C195 is a great GT, glad you got one!!

OH :thumbs:

bk-scouter

C-195, nice tractor :thumbs:

I'll take a guess here, but is there a possibilty the mower belt is in the outer pulley groove on the PTO instead of being properly routed through the inside groove (closest to the engine)? That would affect the speed of your mower blades too...

Oh, and :D

-BK