Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

much to my surprise.....

Shuboxlover

Long story short.....

I returned from Detroit yesterday, decided not to go back to work, and hit some garage sales in a town about 10 miles from us that I drive through EVERY day on our way to work.

I was driving down a road and look north and say to myself...."that HAS to be a D snow-blower there". I pull up to the house, and in the far stall of the detached garage I see her there....a D-200!!!! I go in and introduce myself, and ask him if he had time to talk about his tractor. He immediately said he is not interested in selling anything, I said that's fine, It's just nice to see someone else that enjoys the horses too. He is in his lower 70's and going through chemo for prostate cancer. It turns out that he goes to our church (he is actually a charter member) but goes to the earlier service (we go to the late). Hooked to the D was a Wheel Horse tiller in EXCELLENT shape, said he had a 48" deck and 48" snow blower for it also. I asked him if I could go look at the snow blower, just because I have never see one before. I go around back to look at the blower, and there sits a 54" (?) front dozer blade too!!!!!

I went back inside, and continued to talked to him about the tractor, and thanked him for letting me look at the blower. I said "man you have EVERYTHING for that tractor, even the front dozer blade"....."Oh, I forgot I had that" he said. And almost in the same breath, "I WILL sell that if you want it" I told him I was very interested in it and asked him want he would want out of it. He then asked me "what is it worth to you" I said "oh I don't know, to be honest with you, I don't like making the first offer because I can only insult you, but if you tell a price I am not willing to pay, no big deal" Anyway after about another 1/2 hour of talking, we got back to the price, he says "How does $25 sound" :D:thanks::wh::beer: I said, "I can do that."

He used to have a D-160 with just a deck that he sold to a guy right outside of town, so I might have to drive by the place and see if he still has it. :thumbs:

I bet I was there for an hour and a half at least, with my car running and the AC cranked...I think I saw my breath when I got back in. LOL I told him I would stop buy in about a week to figure out a time to help him take the brackets off the tractor and pick it up....

needless to say, I WAS STOKED!!!!!!! I told him, if he EVER want to sell it, to please let me know, as I would be very interested in it.

O.K. sorry :D it wasn't that short of a story....

Don1977

If you are really want to buy the rest of his equipment. Give him another 100, that blade and bracket is easily worth $125.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

If you are really want to buy the rest of his equipment. Give him another 100, that blade and bracket is easily worth $125.

I was going to suggest a fresh fruit basket either home made or store bought. It says "thank you", "get well soon" and "remember me if you sell it later" and who doesn't like fruit? :thumbs:

Roger from southern Iowa

Sounds like you did everything right. :thumbs:

Finds and conversations like that make you feel good.

stevasaurus

An excellent story...meeting the people is my favorite part. :thumbs:

Shuboxlover

I was going to suggest a fresh fruit basket either home made or store bought. It says "thank you", "get well soon" and "remember me if you sell it later" and who doesn't like fruit? :thanks:

:thumbs::D:D

That's GREAT!!!!!

rickv1957

Great story,nice find there! :thumbs: ,Rick

VinsRJ

Great story, being polite is always the best avenue.

Polaris2007

My wife and I love to just go riding in the countryside, and I will often stop and "talk tractor" to someone if I see an old Wheel Horse or a Farmall. On more than one occasion, I have left someones house with equiptment in the back of my truck that was not there when I arrived at the person's house. :thumbs: