Sign in to follow this  
jla1257

Adding wheel weight

jla1257

So I needed a quick way to add weight to my 1257 for doing some dirt work and wound up adding water to the tires. After filling the tubes with water and bringing them up to pressure each tire weighed 67.5 lbs. for a total wt. of 135 lbs. Happy with that I put the tires back on and hooked up my 10" Brinly plow. Well, I raised the plow, put it in third gear and throttled up. In a hurry to get to work I let off the clutch as I normally do. The results were not normal. The horse took off with its two front tires off the ground. The thing is my seat pan latch tends to come unlatched at times as it did this time. As the horse lurched forward, the unlatched seat pan with me on it came up and threw me backwards. As we, the horse and I, raced towards the road the only thing keeping me on the 1257 was the instep of my foot caught around the side PTO handle bracket. After about 10' the front tires returned to the ground followed by my other foot promptly hitting the break.

I guess the added wheel weight worked!!!

jtmoyer

i found out the tiller makes a great wheelie bar on the 417-8, the kids love it.

buckeye

:thumbs: Be glad you didn't get hurt.... but that is funny..

Roger from southern Iowa

Rides like that are fun.....when things work right.

tranders

Sounds like something I would do. :thumbs:

KC9KAS

Guess you better get some weight on the front now!

If you live in a freezing climate, you will want to drain the water and add something to the tires that won't freeze.

Tire fluid for weight has been discussed MANY time here on RS.

B-8074

My local tractor shop told me they use regular blue windsheild washer fluid. They say it won't freeze and won't damage the rim like antifreeze or liquid calcium will. And it weights the same as water.