Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Name that squeak

IthacaJeff

Hi folks;

Out mowing today in my 416-8 and a squeak develops. It gets stronger and more

persistent as I mow. I start playing around to try and identify it. Raise the deck,

lower the deck, turn off the PTO, all forward gears. . . it still squeaks. It gets worse

under driving load -- up a slope and during tight turns. Lessens when going

down the slope. No squeak in neutral or clutch pressed in. No squeak in reverse.

So then, I hit a rough patch in the ground (furrows from farming days). Normally

I go slow here, but had it in 2-Hi and got jostled around a bit. THE SQUEAK GOES

AWAY! (Or at least not noticeable under the engine noise.) 15 minutes later I can

hear the faint squeak again, this time more noticeable when turning.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Jeff in Ithaca

btrrg1969

your parking brake is not on is it ? :thumbs:

Kelly

Front wheel bearings?? jack it up and grease the snot out of them then check it again.

Shuboxlover

one of three.....

pulley on mule,

deck belt,

or grease your needle bearings in your PTO bell

of course these are all just guesses

:thumbs:

rmaynard

A mouse under the seat? :thumbs:

A would agree with Kelly to check the front bearings.

Kelly

I had it happen to me, that's why I said try greasing the front wheels, probably need it anyway

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Have you considered using a mechanics stethoscope? You can get a cheap one for $3.99 at Harbor Freight Tools. http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-ste...cope-41966.html

If the sound is resonating through the entire frame the stethoscope may not be of much help but for the price it may be worth a try if it's really annoying you.

gwgdog66

My C-160 8 Speed was doing this also. It drove me nuts. It turned out to be where the clutch pedal hooks to the tractor. The vibration while mowing was causing a the squeek. There are no grease zerks on it. I took the collar off and sprayed some WD up in there and the squeek went away.

My brothers 2005 GT Classic has greese zerks on his. This picture is of the brake pedal side just to the left of the idler pulley.

DSC01176.jpg

WH nut

Check the tensioner pulley on the main transmission drive belt

rmaynard

Have you considered using a mechanics stethoscope?

A stethoscope is a great idea for when the tractor is stationary, but since the problem seems to occur only while in motion, I think it would be a little difficult to use safely.

Bob

JimD

Hmm, a squeak you can't identify, had one like that once. Couldn't find it. Turns out it was anonymous. It still pops up now and then just to irritate me. :thumbs:

octfst

Mine was the hood where the hood latches. there was no seal. put new seal on dash. fixed it for me

IthacaJeff

Good suggestions, gents. It seems not to be the deck or front mule. But it may be

worthwhile to grease the PTO bell and the front wheels, and fuss with the clutch

tensioner pulley.

I'll let ya' know how it turns out.

Jeff in Ithaca

rickv1957

Deck wheels can also squeak,give them a little grease,Rick

buckrancher

I guess I'll stop by :thumbs:

DoctorHfuhruhurr
Have you considered using a mechanics stethoscope?

Don1977

Have you checked your rear hubs, they can slide over against to trans. housing.

Kelly

Do one thing at a time so you know what fixed it.

hodge

Deck wheels can also squeak,give them a little grease,Rick

That's my persistant squeak. Grease them and it goes away, but because they aren't sealed, the grease works out and the dust/moisture works in, and it squeaks again.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Harbor Freight ear protection on sale now for $2.49. :thumbs:

image_1061.jpg

gwgdog66

Also check your transmission input shaft pulley and make sure the set screw is tight. Sometimes they back off athe the pulley can slight out and rub the belt guard.

IthacaJeff

Brian (BuckRancher, aka, stainless steel RJ) stopped by and we started looking at

potential culprits. Keep in mind that the squeak had all but gone away. Deck wheels,

steering assembly, clutch and brake pedals, deck wheels, and all the grease fittings.

Found a small drive belt positioner (down by the PTO bell, part of the PTO friction

plate brake) that seemed out of place and had fresh rub marks on it. Drove it around

a bit, mowed some, and parked it. . . .

But somehow the parking brake was partially engaged. Don't know why or for how

long (I never use it, but my son who mowed last may have. . . ). But, it was sort of

stuck partially engaged. Actually, easy to miss based on just looking a the parking

lever. But, if it was a more engaged, and I hit a bump, it could have undone it a bit

and lessened the squeak. Might explain why it did not squeak in reverse, but

does not explain a few other things. Don't know if that was it, but I still feel kinda

stoooopid.

Jeff in Ithaca :thumbs:

gwgdog66

Brian (BuckRancher, aka, stainless steel RJ) stopped by and we started looking at

potential culprits. Keep in mind that the squeak had all but gone away. Deck wheels,

steering assembly, clutch and brake pedals, deck wheels, and all the grease fittings.

Found a small drive belt positioner (down by the PTO bell, part of the PTO friction

plate brake) that seemed out of place and had fresh rub marks on it. Drove it around

a bit, mowed some, and parked it. . . .

But somehow the parking brake was partially engaged. Don't know why or for how

long (I never use it, but my son who mowed last may have. . . ). But, it was sort of

stuck partially engaged. Actually, easy to miss based on just looking a the parking

lever. But, if it was a more engaged, and I hit a bump, it could have undone it a bit

and lessened the squeak. Might explain why it did not squeak in reverse, but

does not explain a few other things. Don't know if that was it, but I still feel kinda

stoooopid.

Jeff in Ithaca :thumbs:

:D Been there and done that too