Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

Should I buy this 2n..........

hounddoghundzsa

I've got an opportunity to buy an old 2n ford tractor REAL cheap. All the sheet metal is there and pretty darn straight. My delimma is that I have never restored a farm tractor (plenty of wheel horses!), so I'm a little cautious that it'd be cheaper to get a running tractor than to start this project....

As I said it is a complete tractor. It had been sitting for 10+ years. All four tires are shot. One front rim and one rear rim is shot. The little nickle-and-dime parts need replaced (ammeter, starter button, oil bath, batt. box, etc., etc.) Radiator is empty, water pump prob needs rebuilt and so on and so on.

The engine and trans do spin (not froze)

So my question is there anyone who has restored one of these tractors lately? What would be the cost to just get it running and operable?

wh500special

The N-series Fords are kind of an overlooked classic tractor. Underappreciated as collector pieces. I guess most of them are still chugging away earning their keep to be considered valuable antiques.

It would almost certainly be cheaper to buy a runner/user than to restore yours. Life just works that way. Tires will be a huge expense and all the little pieces plus an engine rebuild, new clutch, reworking the 3pt hydraulics would be costly. But there is definitely some real value in doing the project yourself. Around here a running 9N/2N can be had for $1800. A restored example doesn

MRM

If it needs all new tires figure it will be close to a grand, just did new rears

on my Case VAI last fall they are 10x24 Goodyears it was about $600. for both with tubes. if it need rims figure a few hundred ea. You will be spending more on it than it will be worth. As far as N serise they are not highly sought after by most collectors, there are a lot of them around and most of them still working out in the fields. A N series would be a good starter tractor if you want to get into larger toys

they are easy to work on and parts are easy to get. But if you need to replace all the rubber you will spend half of what the machine is worth.

just my .02

rickv1957

I agree with Steve and MRM,spend a little more and get a nicer tractor that just needs a little,or a restored tractor that some one is selling for 1/3 of what they spent,Rick

Ken B

Sounds like a good parts machine, depending on what you think is cheap.

NYRedNeck

How much are they asking for the 2N?

hounddoghundzsa

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/grd/1847235003.html

This WAS the one I was talking about. I took some of your advice and did some checking around - I figured it wasn't going to be much good except for a parts tractor. I ended up finding an 8n with a finish mower and back blade for 1k. Went and picked it up last night and it's lookin like it only needs some new plugs and wires and a new coil and poss a new ignition. (not getting any spark on coil to distr. wire) I looked for quite a while and a tractor in the kind of shape that this one is was selling for 2500 so I don't think I did too bad!

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am looking for a grill if anyone has one!! :thumbs:

stoneman

That's a lot of tractor for the money.

rickv1957

Sounds like a good deal!,Rick

Ken B

You done good on that one for sure, especially if you have enough property to put it to good use.

hounddoghundzsa

It'll be put to good use for sure, I've got a three acre forclosure that needs alot of cleanup! :thumbs:

bowtieguy

An 8N tractor with a finish mower?....am taking bets that he has already wiped out the fence posts!!!.....

I'd get a mule before I'd spend money on an 8 N....no live PTO, poor ignition system....but some do make good boat anchors!

hounddoghundzsa

An 8N tractor with a finish mower?....am taking bets that he has already wiped out the fence posts!!!.....

I'd get a mule before I'd spend money on an 8 N....no live PTO, poor ignition system....but some do make good boat anchors!

Some people just don't know how to operate a three point mower or they wouldn't be taking out any posts!

I still have plenty of other Wheelhorses that are perfectly capable of getting the job done. :thumbs:

I guess my Ford will make a very nice lookin' boat anchor then! :D

This is more of a restoration project then anything. I'll probably use it more pulling firewood out of the woods!