Sign in to follow this  
first_of_many

1967 Lawn Ranger

first_of_many

I just got my first Wheel Horse it is a 1967 Lawn Ranger. So far I love it and it runs strong and cuts good but I think I want to restore and show / play with it instead of working it. I love the electric start and it starts up almost instantly.

My first question is how do I post a pic. It said it was unable to upload this type of file?

Second what model plow blade or blower will fit the front of this?

Last did this come with AG's in the rear? I would really like to find some to replace the allmost new turf savers on it now.

rmaynard

:thumbs:

Glad to have you aboard.

First of all, do you have an account with a photo storage site such as Photobucket.com? If not, you will need one. RedSquare does not store photos.

After you have your free Photobucket.com account, upload your pictures to your account and then you will have to follow these directions:

1. Make sure that the picture that you want to display on RS is no more than 640 x 480. You can adjust the size in Photobucket.

2. After you have uploaded your pictures, select the first one that you want to display and copy the direct link. The direct link will begin with HTTP:// and end with .jpg.

Now come back to the thread where you want to post the picture and when you are ready for the picture, click the button that says %7Boption%7D. In the dialog box paste the direct link that you copied from Photobucket. Hit enter and you are done. If you did it correctly, you will see your picture when you click the "preview post" button at the bottom.

If you need more help, PM me and I will call you and talk you through it.

Bob

pfrederi

My L-107 is my favorite horse. also one of the most useful and reliable.

Turf tires were standard. You can get Ag tread in that size ( I did and the traction in 3 seasons is impressive). however, for winter snow and ice turf tires and chains work better.

She will push a lot of snow with a the blade (BDR-385). there is a blower STR-324 but frankly she isn't up to the job. The 3 speed tranny doesn't let you go slow enough. I have a blade and a blower. Tried the blower one year and it has been in the barn ever since. the plow is a different story. She cleans up the snow on front of the shop doors to give the Kohlers a place to warm up. she fires up and is ready for work immediately!!! Hauls 750+ lbs of coal up hill in a trailer with no complaint....

wheel horse man

i hope you can figure out how to post pics because :D

And :thumbs:

Taylor in OH

littleredrider

I have 18" ags on my 63. Can't say how they work, only "duty" it does is pulls the trailer with my daughter and nieces.

But, I did get the 13 horse installed yesterday, and the ags will throw some grass!!!!

JimD

:thumbs:

Roger from southern Iowa

Hi, :thumbs:

first_of_many

Thanks you so much for the directions for the picks, I will load some in the morning. I also want to say that this community is one of the best, I found this sight as I was doing research after finding but before buying my ranger and this sight played a huge factor in the purchase of my first of many.

Now for the story of how I came to find this tractor. First off my 1985 Allis Chalmers 808gt that I thought was the coolest tractor in the world blew up. So off to the net I went looking for a newer mower to cut my 1 acre lot when I came across my wheel horse. I called on a 3 week old ad and to my surprise it was still there, he was holding for his son and he didnt come up with the money. So I drove 45 miles to it, drove it, loved it, had to have it, when I realized I had no way of getting it home. I put some cash on it and told hime I would be back by the weekend. My grandfather said he could get it with me until at the last minute he had a problem with his truck. Out of ideas I called U-haul and was about to go rent a truck for $135 when the owner called and said he would drop it off for $30. The next day it was in the driveway.

Then I went to the hardware store to find some stuff to buy for it when again to my surprise they had a new gas cap, air filter, and plug wire for this model hanging on the wall so I bought those and new oil, fuel line and new gas on the way home and within an hour I was mowing the lawn that hadnt been cut in 3 weeks ( it was long ). Now I would like to find a different lawn mower so I can restore this one this winter. I just want to find original or exact made decals for her before I dare tear them off. I also want new AG tires ($125 at Fleet Farm), and the seat redone before I tear it all apart. Conbined with my brand new fuel cap and some new paint I will have one sweet little machine.

I new some day my web searching would change my life and i think it just did. 2 weeks ago I had no idea what a Lawn Ranger was and now I stay up late every night doing research.

first_of_many

Ok, I was going to give it a try in the morning but I thought I would give it a try tonight and I think it worked. Thanks again for the help. Please let me know what you think, any idea what it may be worth? ( never selling but want to know if I over payed) keep in mind paperwork on motor rebuild 3 years ago, New rear tires, other than that it should be all original. Ran good when bought but now runs great. Also would like to know if you see anything out of place, missing or that just doesnt look right as if I do restore it I want all factory except AG tires in the rear.

wheelhorse041-1.jpg

wheelhorse042-1.jpg

wheelhorse039-1.jpg

first_of_many

Sorry date on pics is not correct for anyone that may care.

dgoyette

That is one nice Ranger! Like others have said the Lawn Ranger is a very capable for its size. Mine does all the mowing and pulls the sweeper and carts. I have not tried pushing snow with it yet but will this winter.

buckeye

very nice. it's appears to have been repainted (the letters on the front of the hood should be painted white) and the motor looks to have been replaced (original one's were all red). but it's in better shape than the L-157 i started with. very straight and solid looking little rig you got there. good investment. and if it runs good, your half way there. :thumbs: to answer your question, i dont see anything missing or out of place. as for value, once you restore it, you will never sell it because is will be "priceless"

reproduction decals are available from a member here, and are top notch quality. so dont be afraid of removing the originals.

rickv1957

:thumbs: Nice ranger there!,Rick

W9JAB
image001-1.jpg

Roger from southern Iowa

One VERY nice Ranger!

If you and the seller are happy, it was exactly the right price. :thumbs:

That's all that matters in my world, concerning value.

SAM58

Nice Tractor & :thumbs:

:D:D:thanks: :wh:

pfrederi

Very Nice Ranger!! I am sure you will love it.

You might want to consider getting some new front tires and storing the ones on there. It is an obsolete size and they are irreplaceable (especially if they say Wheel Horse on them).

Buy a couple of the Lawn Ranger decals for the belt guard. The deck pulley will grind them off as you use it. Earlier models had a recess stamped in the guard that saved the decal somewhat.

The gas cap is not original, should be a plain metal cap and there should be a rubber grommet on the hood surrounding the gas cap hole.

The engine looks like it got a short block...should last you a good long time. Everything on the engine (except the muffler) should be painted red.

As to value/price my father bought mine in May 1967 and paid $469.95 net with a trade-in of a Porter Cable Mark 26 riding lawn mower.

first_of_many

Does anyone want the front tires off of this? They are original and do say wheel horse on them, they have some weather checks on them but do hold air and have good tread. I will sell/trade them if it helps get some of the other parts I need for it ( trim arround gas cap, decals, and right side foot peg) other than that its all easy stuff like AGs, and paint. Also if anyone knows of or has a plow available for this tractor let me know asap. I would love to restore one with the tractor once I get all the other peices I need. Let me know

I will also sell/trade the rears off of this, they are almost new carlisle turf savers

buckeye

pm sent :thumbs: