Sign in to follow this  
persof

How do I

persof

All,

Today I recieved a 36" deck from a generous Redsquare member and I wand to restore it. Its in pretty good shape so most of my efforts will be towards sanding and painting. My question.

I am trying to remove the spindles and cannot. I removed the blades and a nut on the shaft by the greese zerk.

How do I remove the shaft from the spindle? see the pic

spindlenut.jpg

Thanks

Francis

dgjks6

Step 1 - go buy some PB Blaster or equivalent penetrating fluid

Step 2 - remove belt

Step 3 - apply the penetrating fluid to everything

Step 4 - find a good place to work where you can stand the deck on its side, face up or face down as needed

Step 5 - go get a drink and come back tomorrow

Step 6 - apply more penetrating fluid

Step 7 - use 1 1/8 socket with a long handle to remove blade nut and remove blade - use a block of wood underneath to secure blade and a long extension to remove nut

Step 8 - bandage all wounds.

Step 9 - remove nut from top of pulley

Step 10 - remove pulley

Step 11 - remove three bolts holding spindle in place.

Butch

When it comes to removing stubborn nuts and bolts I revert to my old trusty air impact wrench. These things just don't turn. They hammer as they turn and many times I don't need a wrench on the other end to work. I was truly amazed how many years I spent with cheater bars when I found out how well air tools work!!

Francis it is something you can always consider down the road if you don't have air tools. You don't need no super dooper tank and compressor.

I had the same problem you did and that sucker spun right off!!

Butch

S. Jersey

rickv1957

I had the same problem you did and that sucker spun right off!!

The impact is great,been there and done that! :thumbs: Rick

persof

Sorry, I ended up sending a pic of the one where I was able to remove the top nut. But, I cannot remove the spindle shaft. Does the pulley unscrew off or what?

Thanks

Francis

catman81056

I ended up tapping the 2 holes in the pulley then using a wheel puller. If you go that route, be sure to remove the grease zerk and put the nut back on(part way) to protect the threads.

dgjks6

There are no threads. It should just pull off. But when it doesn't you can thread the holes and use a puller as suggested, or just use a hammer and try to remove it. This can damage the pulley so be careful.

W9JAB

I picked up an electric impact wrench

works very well never had it fail me. :thumbs:

catman81056

There are no threads. It should just pull off. But when it doesn't you can thread the holes and use a puller as suggested, or just use a hammer and try to remove it. This can damage the pulley so be careful.

See that big nut holding the pulley on? Screw the threads up taking the pulley off and you'll be looking for a new spindle.

persof

Tim,

What do you mean by "tapping the 2 holes in the pulley" The pulley is essentially sheet metal; if I tap it and put a thread in it would likely give way under stress

It looks to me like a puller with the right jaws could grab under a lip on the pully assy that is just under the big nut. I plan to buy a puller and try tomorrow.

Thanks

Francis

catman81056

Try finding a puller for removing the pulleys on power steering pumps and alternators. If you can find the right size. Regaurdless of how you do it, protect the threads. Threading the holes and using the steering wheel puller along with some heat on the pulley boss should pop it right off. Just remember to protect the threads.

persof

Two are apart with PB Blaster and care full hammer taps. The left hand one moved a quarter of an inch and no more, so far

Thanks

Francis

WheelHorse_of_course

Tap it back on again and then try again. :D :thumbs: