Sign in to follow this  
bigben

Whats it worth?

bigben

Hello all, tonight I looked at a Wheel horse 416-8. It had a double bagger with some sort of an inline blower. it was in awsome shape. Purred like a kitten. everything worked, no rust...it was amazingly clean. A friend of mine is selling it. His father sold his house and doesn't need it anymore and my friend said his yard is to small to need it.

It is much older than my 2001 Craftsman 17 horse, but obviously a much better machine. He wants $650 for it and it seems like a good deal, but up until today I had never heard of a Wheel horse...can anyone tell me if this is a good price?

kj4kicks

Welcome BigBen !

If it's really that nice, I'd say that's a pretty fair deal. Better jump on it !

nylyon

First, welcome to RedSquare. The 416 is an excellent Wheel Horse tractor, and will most likely outlast your 2001 Craftsman many times over. Wheel Horse tractors are a premium brand of tractor, and without more details on the one you are looking at, it would be well worth the $650 price (most likely worth more than that if it is in excellent condition).

If you are in the market for a garden tractor, you will not be disappointed with a Wheel Horse.

bigben

This tractor has a 42 inch cutting deck with a double bag catcher. It has a blower of some sort that attaches to the deck and blows everything into the bags.

There is a voltmeter and an hour meter, head lights and tail lights. There are lights on the dash indicating parking break , PTO, oil pressure and a few others.

It has 4 speeds plus reverse in high and the same in low.

The tires have a lot of tread there is no rust, very shiny.

There is a long handle on the left to raise the cutting deck and a handle on the right to engage the PTO. There is a knob in the floor in front of the seat that I don't know what it does.

The steering is very tight with no play.

The only thing I saw that needed improvement was the place where you place your feet.

It looks like maybe there where rubber mats or skid tape, but now there is nothing and the paint is worn off.

I was very impressed with the condition. It's in better shape then my 2001.

kj4kicks

Ben, the knob on the left side of the tunnel is the parking brake. Depress the brake pedal, and lift up on the knob to engage it. Simply press the brake pedal to release it.

Check the For Sale section in the classifieds for replacement foot board mats.

Here's the link:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1842

Sounds like a nice machine!

bigben

It's in front of the parking brake. It moves front to back and has a round handle that twists.

T-Mo

Ben,

That knob is called the dial-a-height. It is used to limit the downward travel of an attachment. You rotate the knob to change the location of the stop limit of the lift. To use it, pull back on the lift lever and rotate the knob clockwise to raise the stop and counter clockwise to lower it the stop.

You can find owners manuals and other manuals here: Request Manuals. Here's another good site: Product Center. You will need your model number on both.

Curmudgeon

Four speeds plus reverse, with high and low range? Sure that's not three?

T-Mo

Ben,

Dale's right. It should be 3 speeds forward, one speed in reverse plus the hi/lo range making it an 8 speed. :thumbs:

bigben

You know what..I think your right... 3 speed + reverse.

I listed my old lawn tractor on Craigslist last night at 9:15 and sold it in 22 hrs.

I had over 20 calls on it. Now I have the money to pick up the wheel horse tomorrow.

I did a little research on Wheel horse lawn tractors and was very impressed..I was also shocked at how much a new on goes for.

You can feel the quality when you start the engine.

Looks like I'll be seeing you guys around.

nylyon

You're going to be very happy. Bought my 416-H new in 1994. I've seen my neighbors go through multiple tractors in that time frame. In the end, the extra cost is well worth it. Now :thumbs:

bigben

If the rain stops tomorrow(I'm in RI) I will go and pick it up. I will take lots of pictures and post them. It's kind of like buying a Harley except a Wheel Horse isn't a piece of &^%$, but I get to be a member of the club.

I have a couple of questions...How does the blower for the bagging system work(belt drive or vacuum).

The guy I'm buying it from said the system cost him over a thousand dollars.

Also. does anyone know what the rating is for towing. Both pulling and tongue weight.

It's kind of weired how all the pulleys and belts for the PTO are external and sticking out.

You couldn't see any of the belts on my last tractor.

Ben

T-Mo

Ben,

Congratulations on first to selling your old mower, and second, for buying the Wheel Horse. You won't be sorry. The external belts have been the way Wheel Horses have been driving the deck (and snow thrower, tiller, etc) for decades. With the horizontal engine (which is better in my opinion) that's the way to reroute the power. I know you will enjoy your "new" Wheel Horse. :thumbs:

nylyon

There are several vacuum systems for the 416. It sounds like you have the one which is driven off a pulley on the mower deck. I have never seen one of those up close, but it should work well. The other type has a separate engine powering the vacuum and either a tractor mounted bag or trailer.

The PTO and pulley system is visible which is probably why Toro eventually put guards on the belts as a safety measure. While operating the tractor, there is little risk of contact, unless you really try to.

And the best part you get a free lifetime membership to RedSquare with the purchase of any Wheel Horse.

:thumbs:

bigben

Thanks Karl, Where in NY is Brewster?

I have a hunting camp near Cincinatus NY in the town of Taylor.

I think the population as about 500. It's a farm community with a ton of Deer and turkeys.

nylyon

Brewster is in the southeast corner of NY right on the Connecticut line where interstate 84 runs through the state. We've got plenty of turkeys here too, and quite a bit of wild life too! :thumbs:

charger10us

Nice find on the 416, & Great price too! :thumbs::thumbs::D When you get it home & look at the bager system it should have a tag on it with it's modle ### & you should still be able to get the book for it... They are nice tractors!!!

Craig Arndt

That is a great price at $650 if its in as good a shape as you say. Mine was $700 and it was in pretty lousy shape. Its been restored last summer. You will love that tractor. I can't get enough of mine- too much fun riding it.

I have the 42" rear discharge deck and it cuts great. These babies cut grass really nice but wait until you pull stuff, then the fun starts.

The rubber foot pads can be purchased, they have 3M self adhesive tape on the back- expensive I think two were $30. But those foot rests come off pretty easy, so a little sanding, some IH Harvester red spray paint and a few days later stick the pads on.

bigben

Thanks ..good advise. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post then.

Where can I find the paint and foot pads.

I was considering buying grip tape and sticking it on.

I am still looking for some kind of guide for what kind of weight it is capable of towing.

nylyon

Check the for sale section, kj4kicks is making replacements and has them for sale.

bigben

I ran the 416 today for about an hour. I was sucking up leaves.

I like the turning radius. I noticed sometimes I would have to let the clutch out a little to get it into and out of low. The bagger with the blower worked great.It left behind a nice clean path.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will take some pictures.

mailman

Bigben,

Even my 2006 Wheel Horse Classic has the same issue with having to let up on the clutch a little to shift gears. It becomes second nature after a few times.

congrats!

TT

I ran the 416 today for about an hour. I was sucking up leaves.

I like the turning radius. I noticed sometimes I would have to let the clutch out a little to get it into and out of low. The bagger with the blower worked great.It left behind a nice clean path.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will take some pictures.

Whatever you do, DO NOT shift between Hi & Low range while the tractor is moving. It must be completely stopped before shifting.

(You can shift the other gears while moving, but not like a sychronized transmission.)

bigben

You should have heard it today when I inadvertently tried to hit reverse while moving forward.

I'm a crane operator and even my work truck (Mack) does the same thing. sometimes I have to let the clutch out a little to get it in gear.

I popped a few wheelies today letting the clutch out to fast...I'll get used to it.

bigben

Finally took some pic.

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg