Sign in to follow this  
woodys3b

Spindles on 42 inch rear discharge mower

woodys3b

I took the blades off my 1979 C-121 to sharpen them and noticed the center spindle is different than the others. The outer two have big hex nuts that the blades seat on. The center one has a much narrower seat and shorter stud. The nut doesn't completely thread onto the stud when tightened. I'm assuming the center one has been replaced somewhere along the line with one that isn't correct. It seems to work alright but I would like to get it back to original at some point. What is the correct spindle and where can I get one?

Thanks

Edited to correct deck size and more probable modle year. :thumbs:

gwgdog66

I didn't find a 1980 C-121 in the Toro parts viewer but did find a 1979. The 36 Inch deck listed for that tractor is MDl# 95-36MR00 and the spindel assy listed for it is PN# 101525 SA Spindle Assy.

woodys3b

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I think I wasted your time and I apologise for that. The gentleman who sold me the tractor said it was a 80 model. He had a nice collection of horses so I thought he knew what he was talking about and I'm pretty much a novice at this. After researching here, I'm not exactly sure what it is. To make things worse, I mistyped the size of the deck. It's a 42 inch deck. The Tractor has the old, all red hood. It has a rubber mounted 12hp Kohler engine. It's an automatic and has hydraulic mower deck lift. No sticker that says C-121 but being a rubber mounted 12hp, I'd say that's probably correct. Maybe it's a 79. I'll have to figure it all out.

Again, thanks and I'm sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase :thumbs:

gwgdog66
Thanks for the reply.

woodys3b

Gary,

I'll have to go take a good look at my tractor when the sun comes up but at first glance, my tractor looks a lot like yours. The deck looks different but I have to go look close to be sure. The picture of the spindles laying in the overturned deck shows spindles similar to the one on mine that is different than the others. The other two have a much larger surface that the blade mates to. That surface is shaped like a large but short hex nut. The odd one looks like yours with a normally proportioned hex nut for a mating surface.

Nice work on the mower deck. Looks like it had done more than it's fair share of mowing.

By the way, I also served from 83 to 08. I spent my time on an aircraft carrier instead of a tent though.

Go Navy

gwgdog66

:D Essayons! :thumbs:

woodys3b

Ok, got a chance to look more closely at my deck. It looks just like Gary's but the rear wheels have a parallelogram suspension system.

The ID plate is on the dash tower.

Is there some way to correctly identify my deck?

SAM58

I HAVE A 1985 MODEL OF THE SAME DECK, MY MIDDLE SPINDLE BEARINGS ARE OUT. THE BEARINGS ARE SEALED ON ONE SIDE.

HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED TO USE THE BEARING THAT ARE SEALED BOTH SIDES?

WOULD THIS WORK? ARE FAR AS LUBRICATION, THERE WAS NO GREASE GETTING UP TO THE TOP BEARING ANYWAY... THE PRELUBED BEARING MAY NOT LAST AS LONG, BUT I CAN GET THE FOR A BUCK A PIECE.

WHAT DO YOU 'ALL THINK???

:thumbs: :D

gwgdog66

I HAVE A 1985 MODEL OF THE SAME DECK, MY MIDDLE SPINDLE BEARINGS ARE OUT. THE BEARINGS ARE SEALED ON ONE SIDE.

HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED TO USE THE BEARING THAT ARE SEALED BOTH SIDES?

WOULD THIS WORK? ARE FAR AS LUBRICATION, THERE WAS NO GREASE GETTING UP TO THE TOP BEARING ANYWAY... THE PRELUBED BEARING MAY NOT LAST AS LONG, BUT I CAN GET THE FOR A BUCK A PIECE.

WHAT DO YOU 'ALL THINK???

:thumbs::D

Sam,

I used sealed bearings on mine. I just opened the seals on one side and made sure they had plenty of good grease. The upper bearing looks (to me) that they should be the open type. Grease is pushed through the upper bearing and into the spendle housing.