Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Best tire and chain combo

Butch

Gonna get ready for the winter I guess. I have Ags but don't think they're any good for snow if using chains.

I'm gonna use the C-175. What's a good tire tread and brand or style of chain to use on the back end? Is there a pref for tire size? Weights? Antifreeze in the tires? What about front tires?

Thanks.

Butch

S. Jersey

rmaynard

I have Carlisle 23 x 8.5 x 12 turf treads with standard chains. I only plow a level, paved driveway of 125'. Never had weights but I'm thinking of adding some this year.

Bob

wheel horse man

Ags i perfer good year or carsel i think there the best and for your chains the best i think is 2link Vbar check out WWW.Tirechain.com if thats not the right web try puting it in to google thats where i get my chains

JimD

I use the same set up that Bob uses. I read a lot of positive comments about tri-rib tires for the front to help keep the tractor from pushing away from the plow line when the snow builds up. I'd like to try them at some point to see for myself, Oh, I do use the common "seat weight". :thumbs:

truckin88

I owned your 175 last winter, it is great....but the issue is, that the air filter/carb gets its air from the flywheel fins, which when snow is falling can be sucked into the carb, also it gets alot more cold air then a single kohler gets. I had issues with the carb freezing...some HEET in the fuel will help, but I found that the single kohlers I had at the time, worked better. The one thing, is that 175 is a beast and as far as blade down pressure and up and down it is super easy. That is the tear drop style aircleaner which has no cold weather seating, which the round style on the series II had.

rickv1957

The 2-link chains would great with the turf tires,Rick

Butch

I owned your 175 last winter,

If I hear about one more owner of this tractor I'm gonna have her arrested for whorsetitution. :D:D:thumbs::thanks:

Butch

S. Jersey

Butch

The 2-link chains would great with the turf tires,Rick

As opposed to 1,3,4, 5 or 6 link? Does it say on the chain 2 link? See in Jersey we don't use chains. We use STUDS. :thumbs:

Butch

S. Jersey

Butch

Do the chains hit the fenders or scratch the wheel paint?

Butch

S. Jersey

rmaynard

Chains will hit if the ends are loose, or if you don't snug them up properly.

Bob

Butch

I really hate to put weights on some freshly painted wheels but understand ya want the weight where the power is getting to the ground. Has anyone ever made a contraption for putting suitcase weights on the back end of a WH? How much does antifreeze in the tires add to the weight.

It would see to me that some of those high-tech CNC fabricators would have built something unless it's below their IQ level?? Won't be below mine by George. I gotta a new welder that's ready to go! :thumbs:

Butch

S. Jersey

Butch

I use the same set up that Bob uses. I read a lot of positive comments about tri-rib tires for the front to help keep the tractor from pushing away from the plow line when the snow builds up. I'd like to try them at some point to see for myself, Oh, I do use the common "seat weight". :thumbs:

I think the Dukester uses those rib tires and even he said there is a big difference in going straight.

I don't have a hilly driveway but do have a good 250 feet of one although it's circular so I can split up the direction and distance to push it.

It'll probably be a rainy winter now that I'm making plans!! :D

Butch

S. Jersey

Ken B

If you don't have hills to push snow up then don't put weights on. Try just chains first and see how she does. I'd be willing to bet that a nice set of two link chains on that tractor will get er done. Two links is the amount of space each cross link is. Two links are the way to go for sure.

truckin88

If I hear about one more owner of this tractor I'm gonna have her arrested for whorsetitution. :D:D:thumbs::thanks:

Butch

S. Jersey

hey I was a good owner, hardly used it, but that tractor got tons of new parts when it was in my possession, headlights, taillights, switches and wiring, plugs, filters, tranny fluid/filter, hour meter, battery + cable, carb kit, there was alot, I think even more, but I am OCD....great machine have fun with her.

big mike

The best I have found for snow and ice is 23-8.50 turfs with chains with V lugs and

LOTS of weight.

Ken B

If I hear about one more owner of this tractor I'm gonna have her arrested for whorsetitution. :D:D:thumbs::wh:

Butch

S. Jersey

hey I was a good owner, hardly used it, but that tractor got tons of new parts when it was in my possession, headlights, taillights, switches and wiring, plugs, filters, tranny fluid/filter, hour meter, battery + cable, carb kit, there was alot, I think even more, but I am OCD....great machine have fun with her.

Will did you also put front tires on it and a new gas cap? That was long gone by time I got it. Shoot, all I did was ride it. :thanks:

Brrly1

Butch, I vote for two link chains and a good set of wheel weights. I used ags on a 520 last year which didn't do to bad except on ice. I used the same 520 the year before with turf's and two links and basically it was a toss up. It worked well either way. I guess it depends on what kind of surface you have and how much you are concerned about it in the spring. See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:D

Roger from southern Iowa

I agree with two link chains, turf tires and tri ribs for the front.

Works really well. :thumbs:

kloe0699

I agree with the 2 link chain idea. tirechain.com Not sure how to post a link but thats the place to buy. I didn't read anywhere if your driveway was paved or not? I had the v-bar ice chains on the rear tires of my 4-wheeler and scarred my neighbors freshly paved driveway up when I plowed it. :thumbs: Windshield washer fluid is another good/cheaper way to wheight the tires. Kevin

Brrly1

Ok, I am curious about the tri-rib tires? What gives? I guess I missed a post or two. So if Butch doesn't mind, I am not trying to steal his post but can somebody please inform me on this one. Inquiring minds would like to know just a little bit more. Thanks See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:D

Butch

Ya ain't steelin nuttin Burly. I'm curious as to the difference!!

Butch

S. Jersey

Roger from southern Iowa

The way I've described how the tri ribs work is: Pretty much if tri rib tires are touching a surface,they steer the front of the tractor...period.

That may be a slight overstatement, but, not much.

I've used them on everything from dry ground to snow and ice and I feel they are the the best working front tires I've found.

If you've ever worked a farm tractor you have experienced how efficient tri ribs are.The tri ribs, whether on a farm tractor or GT the are just as effective.They help prevent the front end from being pushed to the side whether it be from pushing snow, dirt or whatever of from the front end of the tractor being light from heavy weight on the back of the tractor.

I hope i explained that so it's understandable.

i

tgranthamfd

The center rib is basically the same as the chain around the middle trick that lots of people was trying. The center rib is raised higher than the other 2 ribs, so it helps with the steering especially in softer surfaces such as snow and dirt, I guess grass too.

truckin88

If I hear about one more owner of this tractor I'm gonna have her arrested for whorsetitution. :D:D:thumbs::beer:

Butch

S. Jersey

Will did you also put front tires on it and a new gas cap? That was long gone by time I got it. Shoot, all I did was ride it. :wh:

yes to gas cap, Mr. Bo put on new front tires. oh and a very nice rear attach hitch (for plows) that was sandblasted and powdercoats, got it from confused99 I think.

Butch you tractor has been farted on by alot of RS members.... :thanks:

rickv1957

Butch you tractor has been farted on by alot of RS members.... :D

:D:thumbs::thanks: Rick