Sign in to follow this  
pbr400

I'm a newbie with a problem

pbr400

Hi everyone. I have 'horse'-traded my way a 416-8 that my neighbor has had for years. I'm fairly handy around a car--I have a GS buick and an old Trans Am, but I'm completely green on these tractors. Mine has had fuel issues for two years--if it sits more than a week, it loses prime and has to be started several times with gas in the carb before it delivers its own fuel--not a problem, I can deal with that. But the last time I tried to use it, it ran 30 minutes and shut off. It would not restart and it was almost dark so I quit. The next day she fired and ran 10 or 15 minutes and quit. Refused to restart, but turns over fine. I can see the fuel through the clear filter--it's pumping. The spark looked very weak on the back plug (cranking with plug pulled and grounded) and seemed non existant on the front. My first instinct is coil--are these known to be problematic? I looked at the 'demystify' download, and it seems really simple to diagnose, but I'm hoping one of you more knowledgeable than me knows where the problem likely lies. I love this tractor, I traded him brakes for his truck and I definitely think I got a good deal. But he's a great guy--he looks after me and my family; I try to help him whenever I can. Thanks in advance--I look forward to years more service from this and my future WH's.

YNOT

Check fuel pump first, pull hose going into carb and crank briefly.

Had similar problem when tractor sat for a spell.

Wiring seems ok, it does run

Good Find

Welcome to the Forum

Tony

tgranthamfd

Could be another gas cap venting problem, as well.

rmaynard

:thumbs:

Glad to have you aboard.

Terry stole my thunder, but I always go for the simple things first before I start taking apart pumps and carburetors. There seems to be a rash of clogged vent caps lately for whatever reason. When the problem occurs again, loosen the gas cap. If it continues to run, tighten it. If it stops, you know you've found the culprit.

Good luck.

Bob

rickv1957

:thumbs: Rick

jdog_kustoms

my 416-8 had issues were it would run good then shut off then not start let it sit it would start i found out that for some reason someone took the clip that hold the needle in the carb off or was never installed and the needle would stick and tractor would run out of gas i made a klip and it runs great now