Sign in to follow this  
capn knuckles

ATTEN .WH EXPERTS-NEWBIE WITH ?

capn knuckles

So far the tear down of my WH 657 is going great.Got the frame and trans all painted up.As the title indicated I have some qustions for the experts.

1)does my 1967 657 have reverse?

2)My tractor did not come with a mower deck,and i have'nt seen many 657 around,what mower deck will mount up.(other then a 657's deck)

3)I was thinking of replacing my stock 6hp tecumseh with a 7hp diesel,is this a good or bad thought.Please explain.

Thanks alot in advanced,i know i will get great help here. :thumbs:

DMK855

Yes, your 657 has reverse!! Or should anyway!! :D

I am pretty sure a RM327 deck would be the direct match to the tractor, but I am sure quite a few of the 32" decks from the 60's short frame tractors would interchange!! Don't know that I would go any bigger than 32" with the 6hp Tecumseh!! :thumbs:

mavfreak

:thumbs:

capn knuckles

Thanks for the info.Anybody out there have any insight on motor swaping the 6hp tecumseh with a 7hp diesel.

capn knuckles

just found a deck on CL,from a ranger 1967 would that work on mine

dandan111

I have seen a thread or two talking about a diesel swap.Based on what I have read a 4hp diesel would be a good match to a 6hp tecumseh. It would be a china engine. I think it would be great other than the whole made in china part. (I know very little about engines)

ducky

:thumbs: the motor sound like a good idea. not quite sure if the trans will hold up to the diesel. it might.

Jim_M

I have a 654 with a Yanmar clone 4 horse diesel. The engine is a good fit and is more powerful than the 6 hp Tecumseh, cheaper to run too. The transmission will easily handle the power.

As for a mower deck, almost any of the early gear drive decks with a 3 groove pulley will be a direct fit for your tractor.

capn knuckles

Thanks for all the help.

Mrs. Ed

:thumbs: