Sign in to follow this  
hcminis

Did some Horse Trading

hcminis

Well, finally met a fellow board member and his father yesterday. Steve (ducky) and his father came from OH to trade a 401 Suburban for a snow blower I had. Plus, purchased another blower from me. Great guys and appreciate them coming.

This is what I got from the deal. The old girl is pretty rough but hope to get it back to running condition. The tear down has already begin. Will post pictures and progress in the "Work in progress and modifications" section later.

mollycam9067.jpg

rickv1957

Tractor looks well restorable!,Rick

Indy w h

Looks like a nice project!!

ducky

i know she is in good hands. keep us up dated on the restoration progress. i enjoyed talking with u (d.j.) hcminis. did u get ur project going?

hcminis

Yup, it is restore able. However, it is fighting me very hard right now. Think the engine might be a lost cause. Still can't get it to turn. Transmission is leaking out of brake shaft...or at least I think it is. Steering wheel...well we all know that is going to take time. The seat...well, whoever put that stupid cushion and cover on should be shot and is lucky they didn't get a steel spring wedgie... because the seat is destroyed from all the years it has been covered.

Yup Steve, the Dixie Chopper had a new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, and fuel line. Ready to be the "Fastest Mower" in town again. Sorry, but it still will mow circles (no pun intended) around the Horses. Plus, was made 5 miles from my house. Yet another wonderful Indiana piece of equipment.

So, Project 401 will be posted and updated as much as possible.

Thanks

Ken B

Looks like a very nice project. Is the original muffler in good shape? The original mufflers sound very nice. The after market muffler I have on one of my RJ's makes it sound real wimpy.

I've had some wheels that were rusted on so bad you'd think it was welded on. Instead of trying to just pull it up, try turning it while pulling it (after you've pblasted it for a few days) It'll take some effort for sure but this is what worked for me. I don't use any type of puller on the wheel as all it will do is bugger things up.

hcminis

Ken

Nope, that old muffler has a hole in the back part. Was really bummed....oh well.

No pulley for the steering wheel? Hmmmm.....how were you able to pull it off then? Good thing is someone has already taken the roll pin out and replaced it with a pin that had a key in it. Bad news, it along with the wheel have welded them self to the shaft. BUT, PB Blasting will continue. Have laid the tractor on it's side with a pipe under the wheel to pound on the pin (thought I saw someone do that once before)...didn't work. So, I was able to drill out the replaced pin to the shaft and will continue to blast it. Don't know how to pull it off without using a puller though.

Thanks